VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Waiting On Claim

Rate this question

medders464

Question

Hello...I found this website while doing some research today. I am a newly retired Senior Chief with the United States Navy and I have a few questions. I filed a disability claim with the VA two months ago for several conditions..and I am waiting on a response back from them. I have heard nightmares about the process so I am needing some advise. I had a spinal fusion done last year, and I am in a lot of pain still today and does anyone have any idea on the amount of disability or compensation that I will receive? The other items I filed under are as follows:

1. Inverted Disc spine

Degenerative Disc Disease/ Lumbar sprain

2. Spinal Fusion

3. Aniexty Disorder

4. Hypertension

5. Gerd

6. Finger displacement (broken and it never straightened back)

7. Psorasis

Just wondering if someone that is an expert can give me a rough estimate of what they think my disability will be? I will check back later in this forum.

Sincerely,

Greg Medders

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

1. Inverted Disc spine

2. Spinal Fusion

3. Aniexty Disorder

4. Hypertension

5. Gerd

7. Psorasis

1 and 2 will be combined and be rated based on range of motion. Incapacitating episodes. Neurological involvememtn will be rated spearately.

3 Anxiety disorder will be rated under either mental health or Pshyc criteria and depends on their severity and your gaf score.

4 Hypertension will be rated based on the Severity of the condition. BP less than 160 / 100 is noncompensable.

10 percent is 160/100. 20 is diastolic 110.

The finger will also be rated on Range of motion individual digit.

You can see the schedule for rating disabilities link at the Hadit home page and look up your issues to get an idea. Once you have had a C and P exam, get the results and compare them again. This will be your closest comparison and usually is not too far off.

J

Chief,

If your issues are service connected, then follow the advice of the moderator. If you had these conditions after you left service, you need to get a nexus letter for each issue that has manifested after leaving service in order to get service connection. Otherwise, you will be denied on all issues you can't show is service connected. Just because you say they are service connected doesn't make it so. You need a medical opinion to prove there is a link between your issues and your military service.

The spinal fusion is L4/L5 and it hurts even today like a SOB. Thanks for the information, I am hoping that I get over the 50% rating. Thanks again. I am patiently waiting on my results. I sent over my DD-214 and currently it's with the rating board.

R,

Greg

Welcome SR:

RentalGuy1 has a spine repository on this site. It has a lot of good information. Your fusion should restrict your movement. It depends on what part of your spine. Max for cervical is about 30% and thoracolumbar spine 40-60%. It's hard to say with the limited info you provided. How bad is your GERD? Ulcers?? All the conditions you listed are rateable. They won't pyramid though. ou'll get one rating for cervical, one for thoracolumbar or IVDS, one mental disorder (anxiety). It all depends on how well it is documented in your medical records. You shoul hear something within 6 months of retiring.

Hello...I found this website while doing some research today. I am a newly retired Senior Chief with the United States Navy and I have a few questions. I filed a disability claim with the VA two months ago for several conditions..and I am waiting on a response back from them. I have heard nightmares about the process so I am needing some advise. I had a spinal fusion done last year, and I am in a lot of pain still today and does anyone have any idea on the amount of disability or compensation that I will receive? The other items I filed under are as follows:

1. Inverted Disc spine

2. Spinal Fusion

3. Aniexty Disorder

4. Hypertension

5. Gerd

7. Psorasis

Just wondering if someone that is an expert can give me a rough estimate of what they think my disability will be? I will check back later in this forum.

Sincerely,

Greg Medders

Senoir, I have also had a disk fusion L5-S1 on Jan 08. I have had constant pain since, got out and had my C&P exam. Range of motion plays the biggest part in rating your back in my opinion. : attachicon.gifSpine Claim Repository has some great info. The doc said I have IVDS which you might have as well. I should get my rating in the coming weeks. Will try to inform you on mine for the back. Take care

• HadIt.com Elder

Welcome to Hadit Medders. Where Veterans help and support each other