VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Waiting On Claim

Rate this question

medders464

Question

Hello...I found this website while doing some research today. I am a newly retired Senior Chief with the United States Navy and I have a few questions. I filed a disability claim with the VA two months ago for several conditions..and I am waiting on a response back from them. I have heard nightmares about the process so I am needing some advise. I had a spinal fusion done last year, and I am in a lot of pain still today and does anyone have any idea on the amount of disability or compensation that I will receive? The other items I filed under are as follows:

1. Inverted Disc spine

Degenerative Disc Disease/ Lumbar sprain

2. Spinal Fusion

3. Aniexty Disorder

4. Hypertension

5. Gerd

6. Finger displacement (broken and it never straightened back)

7. Psorasis

Just wondering if someone that is an expert can give me a rough estimate of what they think my disability will be? I will check back later in this forum.

Sincerely,

Greg Medders

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I am needing some advise and help. I got back my disability rating and I feel like I got cheated out. Here's what I got 20% for back which I will write out the R/O's wording. Please give me some advise on what to do. I got the other 10% for my anxiety disorder, 10% for psoriasis. Let me know your thoughts please, if you can before tomorrow morning.

Service connection for discogenic disease L4/5 with disc spacer in place, spinal fusion (claimed as spinal fusion, invertebral disc degeneration, lumbar disc degeneration.)

Upon examination, you had normal curvature and no tenderness or muscle spasm. Straight leg raising was negative, on the left and positive on the right. The range of motion showed objective evidence of painful motion. Flexion was to 40/90 degrees, extension 20/30 degrees, left and right lateral flexions were 20/30 degrees, and left and right lateral rotations were to 70 degrees. You had no additiona limitations to pain, fatigues, weakness, or lack of endurance following repetitive use. There was 0 degrees loss of joint function (flexion) with use noted after repetitive movement. The neurological examination noted normal sensation, normal motor strength, and normal deep tendon reflexes. There was no atrophy in the lower extremities. You were diagnosed with history of lumbar fusion and current x-rays revealed discogenic disease L4/L5 with disc spacer noted in place; posterior pedicular fusion, and lateral fusion with none over lying the lateral transverse process.

The criteria for rating diseases and injuries of the spine apply with or without symptons such as pain (where or not it radiates), stiffness, or arching in the area of the spine affected by residuals of injury or disease. An evaluation of 20% is granted for forward flexion of the thoracolumbar spine greater than 30 degrees but not greater than 60 degrees. A higher evaluation of 40% is not awarded because evidence of records fails to show there is a forward flexion of the thoracolumbar spine of 30 degrees or less; or, favorable anklosis of the entire thoracolumbar spine.

I have no idea what the hell of this means, but I need some advise and help. My back is killing me and all I am getting is 20%, I am going tomorrow to the DAV rep for some help. Please advise.

Sincerely,

Greg Medders

I am needing some advise and help. I got back my disability rating and I feel like I got cheated out. Here's what I got 20% for back which I will write out the R/O's wording. Please give me some advise on what to do. I got the other 10% for my anxiety disorder, 10% for psoriasis. Let me know your thoughts please, if you can before tomorrow morning. Service connection for discogenic disease L4/5 with disc spacer in place, spinal fusion (claimed as spinal fusion, invertebral disc degeneration, lumbar disc degeneration.) Upon examination, you had normal curvature and no tenderness or muscle spasm. Straight leg raising was negative, on the left and positive on the right. The range of motion showed objective evidence of painful motion. Flexion was to 40/90 degrees, extension 20/30 degrees, left and right lateral flexions were 20/30 degrees, and left and right lateral rotations were to 70 degrees. You had no additiona limitations to pain, fatigues, weakness, or lack of endurance following repetitive use. There was 0 degrees loss of joint function (flexion) with use noted after repetitive movement. The neurological examination noted normal sensation, normal motor strength, and normal deep tendon reflexes. There was no atrophy in the lower extremities. You were diagnosed with history of lumbar fusion and current x-rays revealed discogenic disease L4/L5 with disc spacer noted in place; posterior pedicular fusion, and lateral fusion with none over lying the lateral transverse process. The criteria for rating diseases and injuries of the spine apply with or without symptons such as pain (where or not it radiates), stiffness, or arching in the area of the spine affected by residuals of injury or disease. An evaluation of 20% is granted for forward flexion of the thoracolumbar spine greater than 30 degrees but not greater than 60 degrees. A higher evaluation of 40% is not awarded because evidence of records fails to show there is a forward flexion of the thoracolumbar spine of 30 degrees or less; or, favorable anklosis of the entire thoracolumbar spine. I have no idea what the hell of this means, but I need some advise and help. My back is killing me and all I am getting is 20%, I am going tomorrow to the DAV rep for some help. Please advise. Sincerely, Greg Medders

I find it interesting that you are rated at 20%.  I am currently rated at 20% with cervical disk protrusion.  I have not had surgery and my rating based solely on my MRI results(civilian obtained).  I do not have any limitation of range of motion, but I do have pain on extension.  My point is that I think you should have had a higher rating than myself given your more limited range of motion.  I think this is a case of you not given the full rating based of range of motion limitation based on the VA rating criteria.  Best of luck with your rep and I hope you are successful with a disagreement file.