VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dic

cjevans

Question

I have my husbands death certificate and I'm wondering if I write the cause of death here can you tell me if I will qualify for DIC benefit. My husband was 100% Disabled due to service connection Cancer of the Larynx (twice). His death certificate reads:

Immediate Cause of Death: "PROBABLY METASTATIC ADENOCARCINOMA OF PANCREAS TO LUMBAR SPINE"

Other Significatan Conditions contibuting to death but not resulting in the underlying cause given: "HYPTHYDROISISM, HISTORY OF LARYNGEAL CANCER"

I will be filling out forms this weekend. Just am curious to know if this is gonna fly with VA.

Thanks Kindly for any responses

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Just some info on submitting proof of marriage to the VA. Marriage license is not proof of a marriage, a marriage "certificate" is. A marriage license authorizes you to get married. A marriage certificate is proof that you were actually married. In many states--a marriage license and a marriage certificate are two completely separate documents: one authorizes marriage, the other is proof of it. Example: in the State of Ohio you obtain a marriage license which is good for 60 days. When the minister/official actually marries you, the minister/official submits a form to the Clerk Of Courts(I believe) who then issues a marriage certificate--which proves a marriage was performed. Many other states are similar. However, to confuse the matter somewhat, in some states the marriage license and certificate are all on the same form. Such as: the license is at the top of the form, the second half of the form is then completed as the "marriage certificate". **Also, if your spouse received VA Comp which included you as wife, your marriage is "already of VA record" in your husband's VA Claim's file. However, you might as well resubmit it as the the VA claims people never bother to look.

Thanks VMO for the information...I will submit another Marriage Certificate.

For everyone's information. I've been reading about 200 past decisions and so far I haven't seen any denied that are close to my case.