VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ao And Diabetes Type Ii

Rate this question

dontcatchmany

Question

I left Vietnam and the Army in 1969. At that time (actually about a year later) I was awarded 40 % disability related to several injuries and/or conditions related to my Vietnam service.

over several years it was reduced to 20 %, I think because of changes in the rating system as I was never re-examined.

In 2005, I applied for revaluation for additional compensation as one of the original conditions had worsened and also added diabetes type 2 with several complications from that diabetes. Over some time and ratings increases, the rating went to 70 percent in 2006.

Since 2006, I have had other complications from type II diabetes, including surgeries due infections in my feet (two toes removed and infected bones removed from both feet). I added in hypertension which I had in 2005 but failed to add it to the revaluation. Also stage 3 or 4 renal failure due to the diabetes. I submitted another request for revaluation about a month ago.

I guess my question is has anyone here done numerous request for revaluation and what did you do with doctors and such to show the progressive nature of your condition and with each revaluation what was considered to increase the rating.

Thanks for your replies.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

When you say request for re-evaluation you mean that you asked for an increase? You might also discuss with your doctor to get some tests for you cardiovascular system. Requests for re-evalutions are really requests for an increase as far as I know. Do you have neuropathy in your feet? Have you claimed it? What is used for basis of an increse in disability are service connected primary or secondary conditions and documentation that they have gotten worse. That means you medical records. If you are not still working have you applied for TDIU?

All of these conditions are obvious vascular complications of the DMII-

HBP however is surely due to the renal involvement and then this would clearly be secondary to the DMII- the VA likes to day a vet with DMII and HBP has HBP of "essential origin" meaning they dont know what it is from.

Diabetic nephro pathy not neuropathy- in your case could be directly due to the DMII.

Do you have any heart disease or any history of TIAs or stroke or cataracts?

Actually if you are unemployed, the TDIU claim could go faster than a secondary claim for each of these complications.

All of these conditions are obvious vascular complications of the DMII-

HBP however is surely due to the renal involvement and then this would clearly be secondary to the DMII- the VA likes to day a vet with DMII and HBP has HBP of "essential origin" meaning they dont know what it is from.

Diabetic nephro pathy not neuropathy- in your case could be directly due to the DMII.

Do you have any heart disease or any history of TIAs or stroke or cataracts?

Actually if you are unemployed, the TDIU claim could go faster than a secondary claim for each of these complications.

If you have PN diagnosis claim that too- it just seems to me that the renal function problem should cover an HBP rating.

Thanks for your replies.

The revaluation of 2005/2006 added DMII as well as neuropathy of both lower extremeties and feet as well as neuropathy of both hands. The neuropathy was what raised the overall valuation to 70 % as I under stand it.

The loss of toes and bones in my fee as well as hypertension and renal problems (I guess that is the Nephropathy) was submitted as secondary to DMII about a month ago via my veteran's service rep.

In 2005 I submitted peripheral vascular disease as secondary to the DMII but that was not allowed as being secondary to DMII.....I may dispute that at some time.

At this time I have not had any heart problems or a stroke although I had both carotid arteries cleaned out (carotid endarterectomy) in 2006 and 2007....one was 85% closed and the other was 98% closed). I would probably be a goner now if not for the carotid surgeries. I did not turn that data in to VA.

The renal diagnosis is still in progress. That diagnosis was derived from abnormal variations in some of the "body chemicals" most notably extremely high potassium levels and createnine(sp) levels. That has been somewhat moderated by some diet changes and some meds. I am going through more test in a month or so to see how we are doing. I am sure eventually that dialysis may have to be put in the picture, but hopefully we can postpone that as long as possible. All I sent to VA at this point was the original diagnosis of the stage 3 to 4 renal failure. I should have more detail data soon.

Thanks again for your replies.

• HadIt.com Elder

I would do my best to get a chemical stress test for your heart. I found out I had artery disease in legs due to an accident. I was getting a CT scan on my leg for a problem and the scan discovered calcification in my arteries. I have DMII. If you hav them in your legs you also may have them in your heart and brain. This is very common problem for those with DMII. You may not have any symptoms until you keel over dead.