VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Increased Rating With Larynx Cancer

Rate this question

Bryce

Question

Hello, I'm new to this site, so I hope someone can give me some insight into my situation. I have been rated 50% disabled in the 90's for back problems asociated with a service connected disability (Disc surgery performed at U.S.A.F. hospital). I now have recently had surgery for Larynx cancer and will be meeting with my local V.A R.O. in early June. I read that this cancer is commonly rated at 100% initially and then (possibly) reduced as treatment results are clearified. Is this so? If I have an initial rating of 100% for the Larynx cancer what does that do to my prior 50% rating ..and I guess I would like to know if that then equalls 150% or some adjusted % what happens when/if my cancer rating is reduced to, say 50%, as treatment progresses. or perhaps 30% as could be possible? Thank you for your' information..BD

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Bryce:

Welcome to Hadit. To get rated for cancer you had to be exposed to Agent Orange during Viet Nam and or have had cancer while in Service or within 1 year of separation.

Good Luck and hope that you have a good recovery.

The cancer has to be on a presumptive list perhaps another Member could be more specific.

Because you are rated 50% the VA can help you at no cost if you choose to use them.

Bryce:

Welcome to Hadit. To get rated for cancer you had to be exposed to Agent Orange during Viet Nam and or have had cancer while in Service or within 1 year of separation.

The cancer has to be on a presumptive list perhaps another Member could be more specific.

Because you are rated 50% the VA can help you at no cost if you choose to use them.

Yes, I know the Larynx cancer is on the "presumed" list and I can prove I was in country with my DD-214. I have Tri-care and am using that for my treatment at a Mayo affiliated hospital. Great treatment and fast appointments. I was just wondering how this will effect my current and future rating percentages.

Bryce...did you serve in Vietnam? My husband just passed away 3 weeks ago of other cancers but he did have cancer of the larynx 8 years ago but we didn't know about Agent Orange Compensation until Jan of 2008. It took 11 months to get 1st check!! Why are you waiting until June? You should file right away....I have more help for you if your a Vietnam Vet....Let me know..

• HadIt.com Elder

It means that they should do it for you. Still sorry that its not easy to deal with it but Hadit can help you

Bryce...did you serve in Vietnam? My husband just passed away 3 weeks ago of other cancers but he did have cancer of the larynx 8 years ago but we didn't know about Agent Orange Compensation until Jan of 2008. It took 11 months to get 1st check!! Why are you waiting until June? You should file right away....I have more help for you if your a Vietnam Vet....Let me know..

Yes, I am a Vietnam Vet..did serve in country (boots on the ground) 67-68. I guess I didn't mention that in my first blog. I just got an appointment with the local VASO and the first available appt date was 2 june..so I'm getting in as soon as I can, anyway, any compensation will be retroactive to first diagnosis as I understand it. I think Larynx cancer was placed on a "presumtion" list of agent orange related ailments after your' husband had it (more recently) however you still may be able to make a claim I think..correct me if I'm wrong..but don't surviving spouses have a right to file for these reparations? I just re-read your blog and it looks like you DID get some compensation huh? OK. Anyway, Thank you for the input and best of luck to you. I'd be happy to recieve any advice on my situation and how it relates to the questions in my firsrt entry here. Thanks again..BD

Bryce:

Hi Pete, Yes, I was in Nam, 67-68, and Larnyx cancer IS on the "Presumed" list..but it doesn't indicate the one year limit you mention..I think that is for a couple of other cancers on the list. Larynx cancer is eligible by itself with no time constraints. I just wanted to know if it is (in fact) rated at 100% initially and then reduced as treament success is realized. And then, if I am declared cancer free (which can take some years I think) would my disability percentage be adjusted downward accordingly?

As for VA medical treatment..I am retired A.F. and have Tri-Care, which has been wonderful..accepted at my hospital here in La Crosse, WI and is part of the Mayo system. Couldn't ask for better treatment, courtesy, compassion, professionalism, ect..they have been terrific. I guess what I'm lookin' for here is the best way to deal with the VASO and get my claim in right the first time so we don't have to fool around appealing ect, ect. Thanks again..BD