VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New To Board Currently Filing Claim

Rate this question

SLCvet

Question

I'm new here, but there seems to be a wealth of knowledgeable vets so I would like to ask you what you think of my case. I was activated to Iraq in 2005 in the Al Anbar Province. I saw some nasty stuff and do not really feel like mentioning it here, but I do have the evidence I need of a combat stressor, actually several. When I was discharged the VA immediately awarded a 10% disability based on hearing tests I took before and after the deployment and specifically tied it to an IED I hit while I was there. I did not have any signs of PTSD and was really just glad to get back to the states as my tour was extended considerably.

When I got back things were actually not that bad. My driving habits had changed a little as I seemed to scrutinize every object or piece of trash on the side of the road. I also jumped really bad with loud noises, but I did not think much of it. About 12 months ago thing got a lot worse. It started with some nightmares of things I had seen, I found my self a little forgetful and preoccupied, and started to snap at my wife a little more.

About 2 weeks ago I lost my job. I held steady employment with promotions and raises since I got back, but starting about 9 months ago my performance really went downhill. I started forgetting simple things at work. Important things. I started to catch myself staring at my computer while having daydreams about Iraq. I soon found that I could not remember anything unless I wrote it down. I never had this problem before. Attention to detail started to plague me. I just could not get things right. Starting in January I met with an EAP counselor who quickly started to ask about my military experience and mentioned ptsd. We set up various organizational and coping mechanisms to try at work with some success, but nothing solid. She referred me to a professional psychiatrist who is apparently renowned for working with ptsd cases. After the second session the psychiatrist diagnosed me with ptsd and I am currently on medication. After about 4 months of being on probation my company fired me. I have never been fired before. I finished a masters degree right before I was deployed and graduated with honors from a state university. I was never late to work and did not do anything that was against company policy. It was simply my performance. Dreams continue and are much worse. Social life is not good.

My psychiatrist referred me to a specific case worker. I was impressed with the knowledge she had about the VA system. She told me that to win a claim I have to play by VA rules and try not to have the "suck it up and move on" mentality. She said that until the claim outcome is determined to play the "wounded soldier." Additionally, I was to go after a claim for everything that is physically or mentally bothering me that I think may be linked to activities while training or in combat.

From what I can see, I believe I will be successful on the ptsd claim. I have the proof of stressor and my psychiatrist will give the diagnosis and connect it to the events in Iraq. Not sure what percentage. My psychiatrist believes that 90% of the reason that I was fired was because of ptsd symptoms. The EAP counselor agrees. Not sure what my GAF score would be. Definitely lower than 50 I think. I'm not sure I could hold a position for long in my field. What do you think my rating for this would be?

Also, I have had stomach problems ever since I got home. Never had them before. I got food poisoning twice while I was in Iraq on fish and bacon. Bad stuff. I am now lactose intolerant and stay away from dairy completely. Even though I do that my stomach has consistent day to day pain. My medical doctor diagnosed me with irritable bowel syndrome. This seems to recently be exacerbated by stress with my job loss and ptsd. I now have blood in my stool. I did not see a doctor about this while I was in Iraq as I still manned my post sick or not. However, no medical record exists that indicates stomach problems before Iraq.

I am also having problems with my feet, knees, hips, and back. No need to tell some of you about the weight of armor. I'm not a big guy and am not exceptionally strong. I now seem to have flat feet, my knees ach, my hips and lower back (SI joint) give out serious pain if I walk too far or I lift even moderately heavy boxes (40 pounds). You get the picture.

My case worker wants to go after ptsd, IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), flat feet, knees, hips and back. She was also asking about TBI which I immediately dismissed. She then asked me if I hit my head at all during the deployment. I did during the IED attack and a couple of other times, but I had my kevlar on and was only a little dizzy afterwards. She said to go after that too. Heck, she said to go after athletes foot. What am I getting myself into here? My main concern is the ptsd and my work.

Should I go for all this? Advice?

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Update:

I was awarded 70% SC for PTSD this last fall. However, things have gotten much worse. I have been working with my VSO on this and she is going for 100% P&T. I didn't think that it could get much worse, but it has. I found out that my C&P exam that was conducted by QTC gave a strong recommendation of a high rating and assigned a 35 for my GAF score that day. I have not worked for about 11 months now. The kicker is that my wife is in real need of medical insurance. We did not have enough money to keep up the COBRA payments for the insurance that I had from my previous employment. I have heard that if you get a P&T rating that you are eligible for CHAMPVA insurance. I am hoping that I can qualify for this as my wife has been diagnosed with a serious disease. I am 30 yrs old. Do you think the VA will award 100% P&T? I have heard that the VA is reluctant to award this to younger vets. My psych wrote another letter in support of my claim that outlined how I am getting worse and which my VSO said will be strong evidence to support my case. I am scheduled for a C&P exam soon and apparently they want to talk about how my SC PTSD affects my ability to work. My previous PTSD C&P was only a few months ago so I think they are using those results for the decision. I hate to admit this, but I really do not have the capacity to work right now. What do you think? Do you think my case is strong?

Also what do I need to do to get SS? I have worked 9 out of the last 10 years so I should qualify for it right? Just asking. I would appreciate your advice.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I think you need 40 quarters of paying SS, your payout from SS may not be much for 10 years but I figure you qualify but it is tax free Yes, your wife ChampVA, her costs are very small... she has to find a doctor that does ChampVA

How do you determine the amount that SS will pay? From what I have heard CHAMPVA is almost like medicaid, it is accepted by most doctors. Has anyone had a problem getting CHAMPVA accepted or finding a doctor that will accept it? What about my VA claim?

How do you determine the amount that SS will pay? From what I have heard CHAMPVA is almost like medicaid, it is accepted by most doctors. Has anyone had a problem getting CHAMPVA accepted or finding a doctor that will accept it? What about my VA claim?

Call SS and ask them the procedure to find out, bet it is a form......fill out and mail

mericad=ChampVA that is the word..... one fee each year very small

fewer Doctors do ChampVA

GET a VSo to help you file the claim, but be aware what is happening every step....

Look in phone book goto your county services, most counties have a Veterans Service Office..... what state and county you live in>???????

http://nacvso.org/?page_id=14

Edited by vperl

• HadIt.com Elder

You should file for Social Security as soon as possible. When you are younger SS requires less quarters. You should get the 100% with VA and Social Security with half of Social Security amount you receive given if you have kids.

It sounds as if your Service Officer is doing a good job but you should keep track of things on your own. Check to see if you are in any of the expedited programs and they are using them.

If you get 100% P&T your wife will get ChampVA which is a very good Insurance Program.

Good Luck