VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

A.o.(dioxin) Contamination At Treasure Island

Rate this question

Chuck75

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Many of the Navy enlisted sailors destined for service in the far east and Vietnam were routed via the Treasure Island Navy Base for outfitting, training, and overseas duty assignments. Virtually all "junior" enlisted were sent to the fire fighting school. On return from Vietnam and the far east, many of the same sailors out processed at Treasure Island, and, again, were assigned quarters in the same asbestos contaminated WWII vintage buildings.

See attached

TI2005.pdf

Edited by Chuck75

• HadIt.com Elder
On 11/30/2015 at 11:16 AM, SDVIKING said:

Greetings,

has any one come across any new info on TI? 2014 forward?

The info on T.I started disappearing after the "superfund" site was "cleaned up".

The last I heard was that some areas were still considered contaminated.

T.I was sold off some time ago. Don't know that I'd care to live or work there!

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Wow, that's pretty bad when a cleanup fails to clean it up...

Sounds kind of like Fort McClellan, AL. I don't know if it was ever a superfund site, but the locals have not hesitated to do something with the land.

There have been at least 2 AO awards re: Fort McClelland:

http://community.hadit.com/topic/53131-elevated-benzene-levels-in-fort-mcclellan-groundwater-same-carcinogens-also-found-in-the-water-at-camp-lejeune/

Someday maybe Treasure Island will become the new "Camp Lejeune"..where, years after the fact, the contaminants have been found to have caused serious disability and deaths in veterans.

Men and women in service are not even safe on a military base.

It is disgraceful and what gets me is that ,it takes so long for VA or IOM to recognize these contaminates as dangerous to humans, that many who were exposed to them, are already  dead potentially from the affects of their exposure...in many cases.... I would think.

When I got involved in the AO issue long ago,there were only 2 presumptives at that time, and both of their criteria for SC  were impossible for just about any Vietnam vet to succeed in a claim.

I am glad this topic popped up here. There was a 2015 Treasure Island case at the BVA but

I felt it didnt have enough merit to even post here.Not an exposure issue.

• HadIt.com Elder
2 hours ago, Berta said:

There have been at least 2 AO awards re: Fort McClelland:

http://community.hadit.com/topic/53131-elevated-benzene-levels-in-fort-mcclellan-groundwater-same-carcinogens-also-found-in-the-water-at-camp-lejeune/

Someday maybe Treasure Island will become the new "Camp Lejeune"..where, years after the fact, the contaminants have been found to have caused serious disability and deaths in veterans.

Men and women in service are not even safe on a military base.

It is disgraceful and what gets me is that ,it takes so long for VA or IOM to recognize these contaminates as dangerous to humans, that many who were exposed to them, are already  dead potentially from the affects of their exposure...in many cases.... I would think.

When I got involved in the AO issue long ago,there were only 2 presumptives at that time, and both of their criteria for SC  were impossible for just about any Vietnam vet to succeed in a claim.

I am glad this topic popped up here. There was a 2015 Treasure Island case at the BVA but

I felt it didnt have enough merit to even post here.Not an exposure issue.

"It is disgraceful and what gets me is that ,it takes so long for VA or IOM to recognize these contaminates as dangerous to humans, that many who were exposed to them, are already  dead potentially from the affects of their exposure...in many cases.... I would think."

I've always suspected that there is a pattern, and it involves (what else) money and politics.

A serious problem to overcome is that the VA does not consider dioxin exposure from all probable causes presumptive.

Edited by Chuck75

Was stationed there for about 2 months before deploying for the east. I ran a clean-up crew. This is good info.