VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Non-combat Related Ptsd Claims

Rate this question

militarynurse

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

My point is that there are a lot of emotional disorders that can be triggered by events in a person's life while they are in the military that are not PTSD, but are disabling mental conditions. PTSD is a specific kind of anxiety disorder, but other types of anxiety and depression or psychotic disorders occur and it is easier to service connect them than to chase a PTSD claim. The last mental C&P exam I had the doctor tried to say I was claiming PTSD when I was claiming an increase for other accepted conditions of long standing. I felt he was only interested in PTSD claims.

By encouraging a vet to claim a weak PTSD disability it is setting him/her up for failure when he/she might have a strong and documented claim for depression, for instance. Unless you have a PTSD claim based on some verifiable and pretty horrible stressor you have an uphill battle. This is just a needless fight sometimes that is a diversion. If you were hospitalized for depression in the service why would you want to claim PTSD? That is the point. The VA and Military are focused on PTSD because they are catching hell from OIF/OEF vets, congress and the media. This will fade to black as soon as these wars wind down. PTSD is the hardest mental claim to win because you have to show verifiable stressors. The others you just need to show treatment while AD or at least diagnosis while AD.

Hey Chief,

That was just my "common sense" opinion.

Your earlier comment was clearly indicating 9/11 as a stressor for PTSD. It doesn't take rocket science to see that. Remember, ex Pres. Bush had his deceptive way of saying things without saying the actual words. Personally, I care for S/C veterans that have pending claims so I DO care how many frivilous claims are being filed. Most of the time the fakes get weeded out but the whole process of weeding them out takes time away from the legitimate claims. And of course the VA requires a stressor for PTSD. It wouldn't be PTSD otherwise. What is boils down to are there are those that are legitimate and those that just want the money and benefits.

Frank

CRYPTO - I gather you have an advanced degree in psychiatry or psychology? Or is that just your "lay" opinion? What I wrote was "I'm surprised more people don't have PTSD from 9/11" and then gave two examples of veterans I'd assisted w/non-combat related PTSD. I never mentioned veterans filing using 9/11 as a stressor. Personally, I don't care how many file. If they're fakes they'll get weeded out. The VA is the one requiring stressor proof and what may be a stressor to one person won't necessarily be a stressor to another. And who are you to judge what is or is not a "legitimate claim!" jmo

pr

Totally agree. Advising a depressed Vet to claim PTSD when there wasn't a stressor is bad for the Vet and VA. All that does is prolong the claim for the Vet and put them through the ringer. If you're diagnosed Depression or bipolar then claim those, don't claim PTSD if you didn't have a valid stressor. Saying your dog died while on duty is NOT a valid stressor.

You're totally correct about PTSD being much harder to prove than depression, anxiety, or bipolar disorder.

Frank

My point is that there are a lot of emotional disorders that can be triggered by events in a person's life while they are in the military that are not PTSD, but are disabling mental conditions. PTSD is a specific kind of anxiety disorder, but other types of anxiety and depression or psychotic disorders occur and it is easier to service connect them than to chase a PTSD claim. The last mental C&P exam I had the doctor tried to say I was claiming PTSD when I was claiming an increase for other accepted conditions of long standing. I felt he was only interested in PTSD claims.

By encouraging a vet to claim a weak PTSD disability it is setting him/her up for failure when he/she might have a strong and documented claim for depression, for instance. Unless you have a PTSD claim based on some verifiable and pretty horrible stressor you have an uphill battle. This is just a needless fight sometimes that is a diversion. If you were hospitalized for depression in the service why would you want to claim PTSD? That is the point. The VA and Military are focused on PTSD because they are catching hell from OIF/OEF vets, congress and the media. This will fade to black as soon as these wars wind down. PTSD is the hardest mental claim to win because you have to show verifiable stressors. The others you just need to show treatment while AD or at least diagnosis while AD.

Actually, my C & P is in a couple weeks. I'm concerned about being totally honest, since I've had some pretty ugly thoughts about harming others, and don't want that to affect my life.

The ironic part is: the only reason a nice guy like me has been having these thoughts is the extreme anger regarding the unfairness of the Social Security disability process.

I began focusing on the VA side of the house when informed it would likely be at least 2 years to see an ALJ (judge) about the Social Security denial.

Does anyone have knowledge of how telling a C & P examiner about violent thoughts they might report you?

Thanks!

Edited by Pete53
Removed a possible trigger for Members rest of Post ok

I am currently awaiting my rating decision for PTSD. I have two stressors included in my claim. The first involved a shooting at a military post in Iraq that led to the killing of two civilians. The other stressor was the suicide of my father while I was stationed in Iraq. During the QTC appointment the psychologist talked about both incidents. The majority of the discussion involved the affects of my father's suicde. A rating decision was reached on May 19th but I am still waiting for that magical envelope. I will keep you posted if you would like

Sorry to hear about your father

Anyone ever file or know of a non-combat related PTSD compensation claim arising from a serious accident stressor like a car crash, motorcycle accident or military equipment failure etc.? What happened with the claim?

I felt guilty about filing a claim for PTSD for combat in Nam till I read these posts. I guess getting ambushed or booby trapped mean a lot more to me today than someone having a car accident while drunk on some base in the states. I agree with you Cryptotech