VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C & P In Jan. Claim In Authorization Office

Rate this question

lt4ds

Question

I had my original C & P in August of last year, and a secondary C & P in Jan of this year. I called the 1-800 number about my claim today to see what's happening with it. The gentleman I spoke with told me that it had gone through the rating board on April 24th, and that it had been in the authorization office since the 7th of May. He also said that I should hear from the VA anywhere from 1 week to 4 weeks about a change to my compensation. Originally rated at 10%, but secondary C & P was much more thorough and I feel should result in an increase to about 50 or 60 %. This C & P was a result of a letter of disagreement I filled in October on last year.

I guess my questions are, what does that all mean?

1. Will the decision actually be given in the next 4 weeks, or will it be extended more?

2. If there is an increase, is it retroactive back to the original claim date, or the date of the letter of disaggreement?

3. If there is a decision, and it only covers 1 or 2 of the original claim items, should I wait all the claim items are completed, or can I make a new claim without it having a negative effect on the original claim?

Any help or knowledge will be greatly appreciated.

• Answers 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

I thought I would let everyone know the lastest. I recieved a check from the VA, so I called the 1-800 number. I asked what the check was for, and according to the gentleman I spoke with it was for back pay on an increase in compensation to 50% from the last C&P exam I had in Jan. I haven't recieved notification of an increase from the Va, but guess they will send it out on the first. I am going to have to file to have it properly rated, they only rated my back for 30% instead of 40% which is what the reg states it should be, and would put me at 60%.

I still have to go for a secondary C7P for other issues, but this is positive news, only been 1 year process so far.

• HadIt.com Elder

Each rating opens the door a little wider and makes it easier.

Congrats.

I had my original C & P in August of last year, and a secondary C & P in Jan of this year. I called the 1-800 number about my claim today to see what's happening with it. The gentleman I spoke with told me that it had gone through the rating board on April 24th, and that it had been in the authorization office since the 7th of May. He also said that I should hear from the VA anywhere from 1 week to 4 weeks about a change to my compensation. Originally rated at 10%, but secondary C & P was much more thorough and I feel should result in an increase to about 50 or 60 %. This C & P was a result of a letter of disagreement I filled in October on last year.

I guess my questions are, what does that all mean?

1. Will the decision actually be given in the next 4 weeks, or will it be extended more?

2. If there is an increase, is it retroactive back to the original claim date, or the date of the letter of disaggreement?

3. If there is a decision, and it only covers 1 or 2 of the original claim items, should I wait all the claim items are completed, or can I make a new claim without it having a negative effect on the original claim?

Any help or knowledge will be greatly appreciated.

1. 4 weeks is optimistic but it has happened.

2. Continuous claims, once won are retroactive to the date of original filing.

3. I found it to be a progressive challenge. If a decisoin awards you an increase on part of your claim, you can always make a new claim without negative affect on original claim. The downside is that the "new" claim gets a new start date.

The increase was there this month, the only thing they don't have right was that it didn't include for my spouse and a child. Called my Rep, will work it out when I get the letter from the VA was what he said. Something else to work out I guess. But it looks like they were on the ball, or I just played my cards exactly right.

I have a C&P exam on the 30th. I hope mine goes as smoothly as yours. Congrats on the increase. You should appeal the 30% if you feel it should be 40%.

thanks, Frank

The increase was there this month, the only thing they don't have right was that it didn't include for my spouse and a child. Called my Rep, will work it out when I get the letter from the VA was what he said. Something else to work out I guess. But it looks like they were on the ball, or I just played my cards exactly right.

They rated my back at 40%, but the partial paralysis of the sciatic nerve at 20%, for a total of 52%. They denied most of the remaining items I had filed for, except my shoulder. I will be appealing the rulings on those items, but think it's unlikely I will get anywhere with any of them except for my hearing, and ringing in my ears, and possibly my left knee. I think they will rate my shoulder at 10 and I am filing for pain radiating down my leg as an secondary to my back. It's well documented, so shouldn't be too hard to get that rated. If I am correct about those, I will end up somewhere between 70 to 90%, but the effects of my back are influncing my ability to do my job, and I am not sure how that will affect my rating or if it will.

I think 3 things have helped me have a pretty easy process so far, 1st, I have a complete copy of my medical record I request before leaving the Navy. 2nd, preparing for, and listening to the rep at my local office, and other vets who have gone through the process. 3rd, without a doubt has been this place, very helpful and informative.