VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Counseling For Mdd

Rate this question

Izzy

Question

Hello to everyone

The other day I went to an appt with a Mental Health intern, after a while she believe that I was suicidal and called the Psychiatrist at the emergecy room and explained my situation. Iwas taken to the emergency room and after talking with the Psy Doc, and answering all his questions, specially if I had a gun, he decided that I could go home.

He schedule for me to attend a CMHP, and Iwas reading the paper and it says that I should be ready to be there like two to three hours and they encourage me to bring a family member.

The only person that can go with me is my son.

Any advise, should I take my son or should I have my son drive me there and tell them that noone in my family wanted to be with me in such group?

Is this good for my MDD? I will be going to an appt for TBI and PTSD in a week.

Izzy

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

My opinion, and obviously I'm not a mental health professional but rather a mental health patient, w/ptsd, from my experiences, in VN, who is actually un-medicated and doing "fairly" well, is that you should bring your son. They may want a driver or someone they can talk to about how you're doing at home. I don't think they're planning on bringing him into your session, nor can they, w/o your permission. jmo

pr

Hello to everyone

The other day I went to an appt with a Mental Health intern, after a while she believe that I was suicidal and called the Psychiatrist at the emergecy room and explained my situation. Iwas taken to the emergency room and after talking with the Psy Doc, and answering all his questions, specially if I had a gun, he decided that I could go home.

He schedule for me to attend a CMHP, and Iwas reading the paper and it says that I should be ready to be there like two to three hours and they encourage me to bring a family member.

The only person that can go with me is my son.

Any advise, should I take my son or should I have my son drive me there and tell them that noone in my family wanted to be with me in such group?

Is this good for my MDD? I will be going to an appt for TBI and PTSD in a week.

Izzy

There are many "it depends" here.

Is your son an adult?

Is your son completely aware of all of your mental health issues?

If not, do you want him aware?

The VA cannot force you to tell family members anything....remember that!! No matter what they tell you!! And they cannot call a family member or talk to a family member without your permission!

I had this happen to me, so I get kind of upset when I hear of the VA forcing folks to get their family involved.

It's your care, you make the decisions. If you feel you are able to safely drive to and from your appointments, then do so. Good luck.

Izzy,

You posted,

"He schedule for me to attend a CMHP".

What is this ????

________Mental Health_________ ?

carlie

Hello Calie,

CMHP is Comprehensive Mental Health Program

and the form states "intake appointment"

The generic form states the following "During this appointment, you will be seen by your physician, a clinic nurse and other members of the treatment team"

They are encouraging to bring a family member and that the appointment should take between 2-3 hours.

Any inside information that you or anyone might have on this issue, I dont want to get blind sided because, on May 20, I have a QTC appt. for my PTSD and on May 22 I have one for my TBI, this is new because I was never rated or even told that such rating existed.

Izzy

There are many "it depends" here.

Is your son an adult?

Is your son completely aware of all of your mental health issues?

If not, do you want him aware?

The VA cannot force you to tell family members anything....remember that!! No matter what they tell you!! And they cannot call a family member or talk to a family member without your permission!

I had this happen to me, so I get kind of upset when I hear of the VA forcing folks to get their family involved.

It's your care, you make the decisions. If you feel you are able to safely drive to and from your appointments, then do so. Good luck.

Thank you purple for your positive advice, I was not told by anybody to bring a family member but like I stated to Carlie in the thread, it encouraged me to bring a family member. The only one that I could bring is my son because he is the only adult that could accompany me but I would hate to expose him to this issue and my wife does not speak English and she does not like to go to me to VA because she feels sorry for all the veterans there and she gets very depressed.

I might have him drive me there and tell him to pick me up at a later time.

My opinion, and obviously I'm not a mental health professional but rather a mental health patient, w/ptsd, from my experiences, in VN, who is actually un-medicated and doing "fairly" well, is that you should bring your son. They may want a driver or someone they can talk to about how you're doing at home. I don't think they're planning on bringing him into your session, nor can they, w/o your permission. jmo

pr

Thank you Philip for your comment and advice, I will talk it over with my son and see what he decides.

Philip could you tell me what happens in this intake process? I was seen by a Psychiatrist but not for a while, now things have change and would like to know what would happen in the Comprehensive Mental Health Program, it's an Intake appt. and it says that it will last between 2-3 hours.

Do you know if I will be hospitalized?

Izzy