VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Looking For Dmii Info

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

I've been dealing w/it for 2yrs and paying for my own testing equipment. I decided to ask VA for my testing stuff. My BS's are good. My A1C is 6.8. The VA gave me new testing equipment but ordered me to test once, on Mon, Wed & Fri, and only ordered enough strips for 3 times a week. This doesn't seem like proper care to me. I know other vets, w/same dose metformin, that test 4-5 times daily. I prefer to test more frequently and have done so, when paying myself. It's my health. I'm considering switching to one of those Diabetes services on TV w/medicare and paying the co-ins. Anyones thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

pr

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

It was a struggle but I finally got enough strips from VA. What kind of meter are you using as I have extra strips I got when I volunteered for diabetic studies and they loaded me up with a lot of the strips you use for accu check meters.

My VA Doc asked me to check four times a day and VA would only give me 3 strips a week but the Doc fixed it. The Docs like for us to check more often But with that plan I get 8 sticks a day and after awhile it gets old.

A1C of 6.8 is pretty good but you should aim for under 6. I would say that you are under good control but watch out for weight gain cause the better control you have the easier it is to gain weight.

DMII is one of the most undiagnosed or under diagnosed disabilities-

I think VA should give every single vet a free glucose monitor or whatever works the best as Glucose levels change throughout the day-

My claims I just won proved that after 14 years I know how the VA killed Rod- the initial misdiagnosis was over his diabetes- back to 1988-and never diagnosed or treated at all causing his strokes and fatal heart attack-

We ALL need to be proactive as to our glucose readings!

I read that the HBIAC machines must be calibrated properly and I wonder if VA ever calibrates them at all-

I hope the monitors and strips are accurate when you all use them.

I won my claim based on very few glucose readings Rod had that were not that high until I proved he had been on feeding tube for weeks- and they were therefore definitely abnormally high-

the two dope VA docs who opined to deny me could not read military time and questioned what time of day these readings were taken-never acknowledging the lack of having any food at all while he was hospitalized for weeks at the VA while on a feeding tube.

If VA messes up diagnosing and treating diabetes- they could cause a vet to die- as they did in Rod's case.

I certainly hope any of you with diabetes are getting the exact care you need and deserve or you will end up like Rod-6 feet under due to death by VA itself.

Diabetes des not kill anyone- the complications of high glucose levels that are not properly controlled does kill veterans and civilians every day.