VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need Advise For Upcoming C&p Exams 06/17/09

Rate this question

pigdriver

Question

Fellow Veterans, I need some advise regarding C&P exams for Tinnitus & PTSD both on the same day June 17th. The tinnitus & hearing loss is what it is but need advise on the PTSD exam. I met my current spouse in 1967 when I returned from Nam and she remembers my mental state at that point in time, we were together for a year and half before I had some legal problems caused by my extreme anger and "short fuse". After a year in jail we lost track of each other until 2000 when we got back together and married in 2001. My question is should I take her with me to the C&P exam as she is very familiar with the nightmares and flashbacks etc?? Or should I have her write a statement and have it stamped by a notory?? The VA has me on so many different drugs I don't know if I'm coming or going any more, guess its better then alchohol. Been carrying this with me for over 40 years, thought it was just me, pretty much ruined my life. Would appreciate any advise from those who have been there and done that and been through the process.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Pigdriver, Thank you for your service. Can't answer your questions exactly, but do you have the exam worksheets for Tinnitus and PTSD? the rating criteria? Those will help you know what to expect. If you need your wife and helpmate at a VA exam, imho, more power to you.

God Bless you and your wife,

Cg'up2009!

Fellow Veterans, I need some advise regarding C&P exams for Tinnitus & PTSD both on the same day June 17th. The tinnitus & hearing loss is what it is but need advise on the PTSD exam. I met my current spouse in 1967 when I returned from Nam and she remembers my mental state at that point in time, we were together for a year and half before I had some legal problems caused by my extreme anger and "short fuse". After a year in jail we lost track of each other until 2000 when we got back together and married in 2001. My question is should I take her with me to the C&P exam as she is very familiar with the nightmares and flashbacks etc?? Or should I have her write a statement and have it stamped by a notory?? The VA has me on so many different drugs I don't know if I'm coming or going any more, guess its better then alchohol. Been carrying this with me for over 40 years, thought it was just me, pretty much ruined my life. Would appreciate any advise from those who have been there and done that and been through the process.

I don't think there is anything wrong with taking your wife. I had my wife write a letter but to be honest I never thought of taking her(wish I had). Also have friends, children, other family write letters in your behalf.

Hope it helps

Bergie

pigdriver-

Yes! Take her with you and don't let the C&P examiner tell you that she isn't allowed in the exam room...because she is. Having her write a statement, and any other family members/friends is always a good idea. It can't hurt. Just remember that the VA likes statements that are brief and stick to the facts that pertain only to your PTSD issues. About one page per. Any longer and they are likely not to get read at all.

Have your wife take a notebook along for jotting down important info about your exam.

During your exam...never talk about your childhood; stay away from anything prior to you entering the service. Don't dress up, you're not there to impress anyone. Dress and look as you would everyday. Try to answer every question...but try not to say "I don't know" as that leaves your answer up to interpretation for the doc and the VA.

Sorry for information overload. Many others will chime in as well....