VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Child Abused By Active Veteran - Ptsd Claim?

Rate this question

Joel4th

Question

While my Father was on Active Duty in Germany, I was 8 years old, and was physically abused, and now am having PTSD symptoms. My father was a Green Beret, with 2 tours in Vietnam and 1 Tour in Korea. He also was involved in espionage in East Berlin, and was awarded a Bronse Star. Due to his high security position he was highly protected from prosecution until he was a civilian. I myself was a Reserve Component member for 8 years with only about one year of Active Duty, all Training Time.

He, my Father, was later Convicted of the Abuse while a civilian, but the abuse occurreed while he was active duty. Also, the Military at that time (1972) clearly threatened my mother regarding her intention to press charges while in Germany, threatening to strand us in Germany if she went forward with charges. Now my Father is 100% disabled due to mental and cardiac issues, and I am unable to function due to panic disorder.

Does any such claim have any merit?

Thanks! in advance, Sincerely, Joel

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Your profile shows NG- for National Guard? Are you still active in Guard or a veteran yourself?

If so -is there anything inservice that has disabled you which you could file a claim for?

Dependents and adult children of veterans cannot file personal claims for PTSD abuse.

Is there something in your present or past military service that could have caused you this panic disorder?

If so, with a bonafide diagnosis and treatment record and a nexus to the event that caused this panic disorder-you could file a claim due to your service.

Many many veterans had abusive parents whether military or not-service connected claims for compensation are only claims directly related to the claimant's service.

• HadIt.com Elder

Welcome to Hadit.

Abuse by a parent is not compensated and I would go farther to say that if you brought this up it would make it impossible to win a claim on your own. Have you reviewed your records to see if there is anything that could help you?

Good Luck but the answer to your question is probably not unless you can get legislation that would approve it

Thanks for your replies.

I knew it was a long-shot, but had to atleast ask.

Regarding my service time, there were no causes to PTSD during that time, just symptoms.

And without the 24 consecutive months of active duty, I'm beginning to realize that I'm not even considered a Veteran.

again, thanks. I'll keep looking for help in the civilian world.

Sincerely, Joel

• HadIt.com Elder

If you ever want to win a claim on your own then you should never, ever mention your dysfunctional childhood to a military or VA doctor. They will say you have a pre-existing personality disorder or mental disorder and will fight like hell not to compensate you. Symptoms that resemble PTSD like depression and anxiety can be compensated. Just don't call it PTSD. Call it what it is...depression and anxiety or panic disorder. These are the symptoms that make up PTSD in many cases.