Ads

• Searches Community Forums, Blog and more

Cavtrooper088

Va Retro Pay

I retired from active following Desert Storm with 21 years of active duty, and was approved for VA disability (90%)on 1 Feb 2006. However, my first check did not arrive until 1 April 2007. Am I eligible to received all monies accrued between the original award date (1 Feb 06), and the date (1 Apr 07) that I finally started to receiving my VA disability check? I am specifically wondering if the fact that I was already drawing my military pension will preclude me from drawing the money that was withheld.

Ad

If you were approved (effective date of award) 1 Feb of 06, you should be in receipt of VA disability starting 01Mar06. CRDP allows retired military personnel (with 50% or more disability) to receive both retired pay and va disability with a 10 year phase-in program. So you should receive your 90% from VA with a % VA offset in your military retired pay for the phase in. I believe we are in the 5th year of the 10 year phase in, but it was up to about 80% for 06 and higher in 07, 08, 09. An example is, I receive 80% from the VA which with my spouse is $1547. My retirement pay shows a VA offset of 180.99. So they take $180.99 out of my gross retirement pay. That changes each year until the phase-in is complete. Then we will receive full VA and retirement pay. When I first retired (1999), the only thing that VA compenstation did was make it non taxable income. So if you were 80% like me and got the $1547 from VA, your military retired pay was reduced by that $1547. CRDP was a great things for vets, but they should have given us the full payment and not phased it in over 10 years. They whined about how much it would have cost, but the bail-outs these past years of 700 billion or more show that they could have easily started it immediately. We will lose thousands of dollars over those 10 years.

To get back to your claim, when did you file your initial claim with the VA? If you filed within a year of your retirement and it took them that long to decide, you should get retro back to the date you filed or the month after you retired.

If you were approved (effective date of award) 1 Feb of 06, you should be in receipt of VA disability starting 01Mar06. CRDP allows retired military personnel (with 50% or more disability) to receive both retired pay and va disability with a 10 year phase-in program. So you should receive your 90% from VA with a % VA offset in your military retired pay for the phase in. I believe we are in the 5th year of the 10 year phase in, but it was up to about 80% for 06 and higher in 07, 08, 09. An example is, I receive 80% from the VA which with my spouse is $1547. My retirement pay shows a VA offset of 180.99. So they take $180.99 out of my gross retirement pay. That changes each year until the phase-in is complete. Then we will receive full VA and retirement pay. When I first retired (1999), the only thing that VA compenstation did was make it non taxable income. So if you were 80% like me and got the $1547 from VA, your military retired pay was reduced by that $1547. CRDP was a great things for vets, but they should have given us the full payment and not phased it in over 10 years. They whined about how much it would have cost, but the bail-outs these past years of 700 billion or more show that they could have easily started it immediately. We will lose thousands of dollars over those 10 years.

To get back to your claim, when did you file your initial claim with the VA? If you filed within a year of your retirement and it took them that long to decide, you should get retro back to the date you filed or the month after you retired.

Thanks for the good information Mags. My initial packet (dtd 3 Apr 07) from VA says that they received my claim 24 Jan 06 and that my payment amount start date was 1 Feb 06. However, I didn't receive my first payment until 1 Apr 07. Is it possible that I will receive back pay from Feb 06 to 1 Apr 07 which was the time that I actually started receiving a VA check?

I'm one of the dumb ones who went years avoiding VA and thinking that there was nothing wrong with me that I couldn't fix myself. After a fellow vet died, his widow and my wife of 39 years finally convinced me that I should go see VA and pretty much hand carried me to the local county VA rep and told him I had issues. I thought it was normal to go crazy, get in fights and get fired for anger management problems. VA counseling and PTSD counseling has helped me a lot the past couple of years.

I'm 70% PTSD, 20% DM2, and several 10%' ers (back, neck, tinnitus, scars, neuropathy legs) for a combined 90%. Finally figured out that I'll never get to the 100% by hitting 10-20% at a time so looks like I'll stay at 90%

Thanks for your help brother.

Cavtrooper088

Don't "assume" you will get that missing money. Submit an IRIS inquiry (never call the 1-800 #) and describe your situation as you have here and see what kind of response you get...ask for your response in writing (either e-mail or ltr).

Cavtrooper088:

You should have been paid retro from 1 Feb 06. You need to write your VA regional office. You should confer with your VSO to see what you should say in your letter. It should be easy for them to trace back to see when they started paying you. Your letter just needs to contain the info you explained here. The date the letter states you should start receiving VA comp and tell them the actual date you received monthly comp. With 70% PTSD, you should be able to get TDIU if you are not working. If you are not working, I would definitely pursue TDIU and SSDI. Good luck!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Ads

• Advertisemnt

• Latest News
  • Our picks

• If you are a Veteran, represented by MOPH, you need to know that MOPH is closing down its offices.  This can have a drastic effect on your claim, and it wont be good for you.  You likely need to get a new representative.  

This station confirms MOPH is closing its doors:

http://www.kwtx.com/content/news/Waco--Purple-Heart-veterans-service-center-to-close-its-doors-480422933.html

• 0 replies
    • Retroactive Back Pay.
      Retroactive Back Pay - #1Viewed Post Week of March 19. 2018

My claim is scheduled to close tomorrow for my backpay.
      Does anyone know if it does close how long till the backpay hits the bank?
      Also does information only get updated on our claims whenever the site is down?
      • 44 replies
    • Examining your service medical records...
      * First thing I do after receiving a service medical record is number each page when I get to the end I go back and add 1 of 100 and so on.

* Second I then make a copy of my service medical records on a different color paper, yellow or buff something easy to read, but it will distinguish it from the original.

* I then put my original away and work off the copy.

* Now if you know the specific date it's fairly easy to find. 

* If on the other hand you don't know specifically or you had symptoms leading up to it. Well this may take some detective work and so Watson the game is afoot.

* Let's say it's Irritable Syndrome 

* I would start page by page from page 1, if the first thing I run across an entry that supports my claim for IBS, I number it #1, I Bracket it in Red, and then on a separate piece of paper I start to compile my medical evidence log. So I would write Page 10 #1 and a brief summary of the evidence, do this has you go through all the your medical records and when you are finished you will have an index and easy way to find your evidence. 

Study your diagnosis symptoms look them up. Check common medications for your IBS and look for the symptoms noted in your evidence that seem to point to IBS, if your doctor prescribes meds for IBS, but doesn't call it that make those a reference also.
      • 9 replies
    • How to get your questions answered on the forum
      Do not post your question in someone else's thread. If you are reading a topic that sounds similar to your question, start a new topic and post your question. When you add your question to a topic someone else started both your questions get lost in the thread. So best to start your own thread so you can follow your question and the other member can follow theirs.

All VA Claims questions should be posted on our forums. Read the forums without registering, to post you must register it’s free. Register for a free account.

Tips on posting on the forums.

Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery” instead of ‘I have a question’.

Knowledgable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title. I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

Use paragraphs instead of one huge, rambling introduction or story. Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading to:

Post clear questions and then give background info on them.

Examples:

A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?

I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine but claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?

I was involved in traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial from your claim?” etc.

Note:

Your firsts posts on the board may be delayed before they show up, as they are reviewed, this process does not take long and the review requirement will be removed usually by the 6th post, though we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.

This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before they hit the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims and this helps us do that.
      • 2 replies
    • I have a 30% hearing loss and 10% Tinnitus rating since 5/17.  I have Meniere's Syndrome which was diagnosed by a VA facility in 2010 yet I never thought to include this in my quest for a rating.  Meniere's is very debilitating for me, but I have not made any noise about it because I could lose my license to drive.  I am thinking of applying for additional compensation as I am unable to work at any meaningful employment as I cannot communicate effectively because of my hearing and comprehension difficulties.  I don't know whether to file for a TDUI, or just ask for additional compensation.  My county Veterans service contact who helped me get my current rating has been totally useless on this when I asked her for help.  Does anyone know which forms I should use?  There are so many different directions to proceed on this that I am confused.  Any help would be appreciated.  Vietnam Vet 64-67. 

Ads

How to get your questions answered.

All VA Claims questions should be posted on our forums. Read the forums without registering, to post you must register it’s free. Register for a free account.

Tips on posting on the forums.

1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ ...
  2. Knowledgable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title ... 
  3. Use paragraphs instead of one huge, rambling introduction or story. Again – You want to make it easy for others to help ...
Continue Reading

• Advertisemnt

• latest-posts-activity.pngstart-new-topic.pngsearch.png

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines