Ads

How to get your questions answered.

All VA Claims questions should be posted on our forums. Read the forums without registering, to post you must register it’s free. Register for a free account.

Tips on posting on the forums.

1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ ...
  2. Knowledgable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title ... 
  3. Use paragraphs instead of one huge, rambling introduction or story. Again – You want to make it easy for others to help ...
Continue Reading

• Advertisemnt

• Advertisemnt

• Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

• Search

BrianinMIA

Re-eval Of Ptsd After A Routine Visit For Unrelated Ailment

Question

Hail Vets!

I am an OIFII (2004) Marine with various ailments and PTSD.

April 2005 - Origin Claim was Submitted prior to my EOS date of July 2005. (San Diego VARO)

July 2005 - I moved to DC

Jan 2006 - I was awarded 10% on 11 separate physical ailments resulting in a 70% Scheduler Rating (proper terms?). (San Diego VARO)

Dec 2006 - I submitted a claim for PTSD after symptoms began to manifest and got to the point that I went in. (Washington, DC VARO)

April 2007 - I moved to New York City - began seeing a private phsycologist.

Nov 2007 - After submitting additional info and medical evals (VA and Private) I was awarded 50% PTSD (GAF 60) (Newark, NJ VARO)

October 2008 - Had to leave my job because of the stresses from my condition and move to Miami, FL. Not collecting unemployment.

March 2009 - Filled for Bankruptcy in FL.

early May 2009 - I went to the Miami VAMC to get my wrist looked at, nurse asked about my PTSD I said it persists but I manage. Nothing further.

28 May 2009 - Received a letter (from Newark, NJ VARO) saying I missed a May 7th PTSD re-evaluation appointment?? They propose to reduce my benefit from 50% PTSD to 0% reducing my 80% total to 50% total ($1,427 to $770) - not sure why it wouldn't be back to 70%.

1 June - I called them to say I got the letter and I will go for an Eval but never got notified of an appointment or got a phone call for it - also going to mail in (as operator advised) the form they sent me with the packet, to rebut their proposal to reduce my benefits.

I have had suicidal ideation since I left NYC - had stopped seeing clinicians due to the relocation. I do participate in a Vets4Vets PTSD phone support group, which is my real life line. I think my condition is acctually worse. Still unemployed, recluse - 1 or 2 friends. It's BS - life is shit.

8 June - I have a Hand Appointment with the VAMC, Should I go to C&P and schedule the eval myself? Should I enroll in their support group? Ask for Meds? I DO cope - I just don't want to be a burden on the VA (or leave my Apartment for that matter).

Any Advice?

You are NOT a burden to the VA that is why they even have a JOB, it is to care for us, even if they don't like it. As you may now have noticed the VA doesn't play fair we have timelines and deadlines they get to do whatever they want when they want to. Without treatment (doctors visits) the VA takes the position that you are better since you don't need counseling or medication (they assume all vets are better) since you feel your condition you have worsened then you really need to get into either regular one on one sessions with a mental health professional, if you don't like VA doctors, they should have a community Vet center somewhere nearby they are funded by the VA but are seperate from the VA, lot's of veterans don't want anything to do with the VA but they will go to the Vet Centers don't ask me why but they do, if you don't ask for help they always assume the vet is better, many vets cause themselves problems with quitting treatment after their claim is awarded and they start getting the checks, that is like waving a red flag at a bull, the VA then calls the vets in for re-evals and proposes to reduce them, if you don't file the disagrrement on their peoposal of action you soon won't be able to afford food, it's always bets to keep your VA doctor appts, I see the shrink every 3 months, my primary care doc every 6 months, my heart doc every 6 months, I refill all the presciptions on schedule via the internet, my wife is constantly throwing extra bottlesd away, I have a hard time keeping the rotation right on the shelves oh well I always have plenty of pills for my medical problems some days I forget to take them, what can I say I have memory issues it's documented too, rofl

do what you need to to keep yourself straight with the VA, the system works if the vets keep the game on the board, everyone has to do what they are supposed to, on the day they are supposed to, it really is like the military everything has a purpose and as long as everyone does their part everything keeps working right but when we or the VA makes a mistake people get irriated and mad either them or us do your part and keep your appts and getting your meds refilled

Ad

Hang in there and if you can bring up all your symptoms when you next go to VA.

Hey Jarhead,

Welcome home and thank you for your service. I understand your frustration with the VA, been there and done that and still going through it. I thought the Corps had some strange ways of doing things but the VA has got the Corps beat hands down when it come to creating a "charlie foxtrot"!! Keep your appointments and keep getting your meds whether you take them or not keep ordering them. Do everything the VA personnel ask or tell you to do, just like the Corps, Yes Sir or Yes Ma'am, thats if you want to keep your compensation check coming, if not tell them to get hosed!! Remember, the VA exists for veterans not the other way around like some people would like to think. Keep your head down and your powder dry Marine.

If it were me, I'd file for an increase in the PTSD award and file for TDIU, due to your current worsening symptoms. Sign up for counseling and see if they feel you need meds. You don't have to take meds but sometimes they are good for a short or long periods. That's up to you. I think the best place for counseling is either a Vet Center (paid for by VA funding but independent) or group counseling thru the VA. The Vet Center will also do 1 on 1 sessions, as needed. They can also help w/an increase and TDIU. I've found them more vet friendly than the VA's. Oh, sorry the Army was full and you had to go in the USMC, instead. Just a little inter-service humor! ;-)

pr

Hail Vets!

I am an OIFII (2004) Marine with various ailments and PTSD.

April 2005 - Origin Claim was Submitted prior to my EOS date of July 2005. (San Diego VARO)

July 2005 - I moved to DC

Jan 2006 - I was awarded 10% on 11 separate physical ailments resulting in a 70% Scheduler Rating (proper terms?). (San Diego VARO)

Dec 2006 - I submitted a claim for PTSD after symptoms began to manifest and got to the point that I went in. (Washington, DC VARO)

April 2007 - I moved to New York City - began seeing a private phsycologist.

Nov 2007 - After submitting additional info and medical evals (VA and Private) I was awarded 50% PTSD (GAF 60) (Newark, NJ VARO)

October 2008 - Had to leave my job because of the stresses from my condition and move to Miami, FL. Not collecting unemployment.

March 2009 - Filled for Bankruptcy in FL.

early May 2009 - I went to the Miami VAMC to get my wrist looked at, nurse asked about my PTSD I said it persists but I manage. Nothing further.

28 May 2009 - Received a letter (from Newark, NJ VARO) saying I missed a May 7th PTSD re-evaluation appointment?? They propose to reduce my benefit from 50% PTSD to 0% reducing my 80% total to 50% total ($1,427 to $770) - not sure why it wouldn't be back to 70%.

1 June - I called them to say I got the letter and I will go for an Eval but never got notified of an appointment or got a phone call for it - also going to mail in (as operator advised) the form they sent me with the packet, to rebut their proposal to reduce my benefits.

I have had suicidal ideation since I left NYC - had stopped seeing clinicians due to the relocation. I do participate in a Vets4Vets PTSD phone support group, which is my real life line. I think my condition is acctually worse. Still unemployed, recluse - 1 or 2 friends. It's BS - life is shit.

8 June - I have a Hand Appointment with the VAMC, Should I go to C&P and schedule the eval myself? Should I enroll in their support group? Ask for Meds? I DO cope - I just don't want to be a burden on the VA (or leave my Apartment for that matter).

Any Advice?

Edited by Philip Rogers

x

x

x

VA Form 21-8940 Veteran's Application for Increased Compensation Based on Unemployability

File Type: PDF

Issue Date: 02/19/2008

Revision Date: 10/2004

Total Pages: 2

http://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-21-8940-ARE.pdf