VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Independent Living

Rate this question

Pete53

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I applied for Voc Rehab to get Independent Living to hopefully remodel bathroom from sunken tub to a walk in shower. Started out rather badly when I got an assessment letter and a group appointment. I got an email and told the Chancellor that all I wanted was Independent Living.

They were pretty nice but I had to take all the tests. They made us watch a film and they had some scenarios where actors preteded that they were Veterans who were Service Connected and how Voc Rehab could help them.

One of the scenes a Marine meets a buddy at a barber shop they recognize each other and now get this. He said he got out for medical after 16 years and VA Service Connected him in 2 weeks. He was out 3 weeks and already was being paid? I started laughing so hard I almost hurt myself. Once of the Councilors asked me how long t took me and I told her over 5 years after I was awarded Social Security for same connections.

I also noticed that OIF Veterans were put in front of all the other Vets and had a big red block pasted on their file

• Answers 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Pete,

Wonder if I can go to my local VARO with a big

Red sharpie -- and color in a

big red block lol.

Yea, the actor that said VA SC'd him in 2 weeks

needs to get an academy award !

carlie

• HadIt.com Elder

I had a meeting with my Councilor on Monday and it went well. Basically he told me that he was going to write a report that should get benefits. He plans to send a contractor out within 30 days to check out and report to him, This report, his report, my Doc's supporting information and another Employment report plus all the tests and supposedly they will try to get the shower remodeled and get this maybe a new air/conditioner as ours is 13 years old

The reason I am reporting this as my good friend Mike Harris used to tell me that Independent Living was the most underutilized benefit used by Veterans, Remember you don't have to be 100% you can get it at 10% and up.

• HadIt.com Elder

That's very good news Pete.

You might ask that a bench or seat be installed in the shower for you to sit on with a detachable shower head and make sure theres plenty of grab bars.

Vets should remember that Non-service connected vets can also recieve ILS benefits.

• HadIt.com Elder

Like most other things the Veteran has to ask and usually jump through a few hoops

• HadIt.com Elder

x

x

x

Good job Pete! I agree with Allan, request a bench seat and all the other bells and whistles 'cause none of us are getting any younger! I hope you apply for the AC as well! ~Wings

• HadIt.com Elder

After several changes of Councilors today I sat down with a new one who had no clue. She did know know anything about my claim nor what the status is. She also said that Voc Rehab will not do the shower or anything else from what I got.

I told her fine deny me and I would appeal it.