VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Detectable Psa After Prostate Removal

Rate this question

Tiki

Question

I hope I'm not bringing up a question already answered. I served in VN in '67 - '68. I was given SC for prostate cancer after filing in Feb '08. I had an aggressive type and had a prostatectomy in Mar of '08. My Dr. said I would need radiation most likely after surgery but they would wait as long as possible because any progress being made vis-a-vis bladder issues would be halted by radiation and never get any better.

Radiation is coming up soon as my PSA has risen continually as follows: 6/08 - .037, 9/08 - .040, 12/08 - .50, 3/09 - .062.

I had my C&P in Dec '08 during which my urologist's records, which I presented, showed that I would need radiation and also showed the ascending PSA levels. I haven't heard anything yet as I have other issues pending that are roiling the waters. My question (which my state Vet Rep could not answer) is, because the disease has never completely been put to rest, will I be 100% temporary during all this time until I'm cured or do I just get the standard 6 months at 100%?

This site has been a Godsend and I thank you all. Rest assured that I will contribute any knowledge that I might come by if I can be of assistance in the future.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

Note: A rating of 100 percent shall continue beyond the cessation of any surgical, X-ray, antineoplastic chemotherapy or other therapeutic procedure. Six months after discontinuance of such treatment, the appropriate disability rating shall be determined by mandatory VA examination. Any change in evaluation based upon that or any subsequent examination shall be subject to the provisions of §3.105(e) of this chapter. If there has been no local recurrence or metastasis, rate on residuals.

You are 100% from the onset of treatment until 6 months after you complete treatment then you will be reevaluated in my case surgery and 1 year of chemo was 23 months.

Note: A rating of 100 percent shall continue beyond the cessation of any surgical, X-ray, antineoplastic chemotherapy or other therapeutic procedure. Six months after discontinuance of such treatment, the appropriate disability rating shall be determined by mandatory VA examination. Any change in evaluation based upon that or any subsequent examination shall be subject to the provisions of §3.105(e) of this chapter. If there has been no local recurrence or metastasis, rate on residuals.

You are 100% from the onset of treatment until 6 months after you complete treatment then you will be reevaluated in my case surgery and 1 year of chemo was 23 months.

Thanks KW34, I sure appreciate the info.

I just went to my non VA Doc yesterday for my 3 month check up. Instead of rising , my psa went from .062 three months ago to .060 presently. He said the reading is virtually the same but it's good that it didn't rise. He said we will hold off on the radiation and may not even need it if I keep going down. So...... does anyone know where to go to look up the regulation to see how long I'll be covered 100% temporary if it turns out I won't need radiation. I thought I read somewhere if the PSA was over .02 you were still considered to have the disease but I can't find the thread.