VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Voluntary Commitment...

Rate this question

Sidney56

Question

Hey guys, just wanted some advice on a decision I need to make today. My mental state has been rapidly declining lately, and I think I need to get some in house treatment quickly. My mood changes are occurring more frequently and my family is scared of what the next out burst will bring.

A friend of the family told me that I need to check myself into the hospital for evaluation and possible treatment. That sounds okay, as I am willing to do whatever it takes to get some help to rid myself of this pain, mentally and physically. Each time that I go to my PCP, I'm treated for everything, except what my complaints are. I went to the clinic last week and the nurse told me to return to the emergency room if things got worse. He set an appointment to see my PCP on the 19th, but I really don't think that I can wait until then.

I am taking Citalopram Hydrobromide(40 mg), but it has no effect whatsoever. I am starting to have hallucinations and have not had any sleep going on 2 days. My nerves are shot and I don't remember anything that I do 5 minutes afterwards.

My problem is, I don't know what to expect when I try to check myself into the hospital. I have heard so many horror stories about checking into the mental ward for observation and I am having second thoughts. Could someone give me some insight as how to handle this situation. Whatever decision I make has to be asap.

Thanks

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Since you have a diagnosed mental condition you should ask SSD to reopen your claim and use 2004 date you stopped working to go back and do your work credits. You would probably qualify and get a lot of back pay.If it was me I would go to Social Security Office and ask for help.

It never ceases to amaze me how many are cheated out of earned SSD benefits cause no one tells them.

I would also concentrate my efforts on Social Security as they work faster than VA.

Good Luck

Since you have a diagnosed mental condition you should ask SSD to reopen your claim and use 2004 date you stopped working to go back and do your work credits. You would probably qualify and get a lot of back pay.If it was me I would go to Social Security Office and ask for help.

It never ceases to amaze me how many are cheated out of earned SSD benefits cause no one tells them.

I would also concentrate my efforts on Social Security as they work faster than VA.

Good Luck

Hey Pete my friend....was wondering when I would hear from you. Knew it wouldn't be long.;)

I didn't know that I could do that. I had an appointment with a law firm that is suppose to be the best and specializes in social security in my state. When I told them that I had received my yearly statement from the ss dept stating that I did not have enough credits to file for SSD, I was told that they could not help me, because I had not paid anything in, so the law states that I could not receive disability payments. Shouldn't they have known that?

Thanks my friend. Will start on that first thing Monday morning!

PS: Here is what was said on my last benefits statement from SS:

"To get benefits if you become disabled now, right now, you need 31 credits of work, and 20 of these credits had to be earned in the last 10 years. Your records shows you do not have enough credits in the right time period."

If they would go back to 2004, this would be my income history. I think they state that you can earn up to 4 credits a year, depending on income. Not sure if this would add up to the amount I need. Looks like I still may be short.

Edited by Sidney56

• HadIt.com Elder

You are also supposed to get credit for each quarter you were in the Military. May be a squeaker but needs to be looked at.

You are also supposed to get credit for each quarter you were in the Military. May be a squeaker but needs to be looked at.

Not sure I understand Pete. I was in the military in the early '70.

• HadIt.com Elder

Social Security is supposed to give you credit for each quarter you served in Military during that period. It is not limited by time so if you served 2 years you would be entitled to 8 quarters credit. It can help you and is often over looked.You really need to talk to someone who understands this better than I

Yep yep, you pay taxes in the military just like any other job.

Frank

Social Security is supposed to give you credit for each quarter you served in Military during that period. It is not limited by time so if you served 2 years you would be entitled to 8 quarters credit. It can help you and is often over looked.You really need to talk to someone who understands this better than I