VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Disability Pension And S/c

CRYPTOTECH

I was awarded VA disability pension in 2004. A year later I was awarded 30% S/C for my disability.

The issue I have here is in order to get VA disability Pension you have to be Permanent and Total. Why did the VA S/C me at 30% then instead of giving me 100% when they had already granted me my disability pension???

Doesn't make sense to me.

Frank

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pension includes non service connected condition in order to make you permanent and total. It does not transfer to service connected disability. Were you only rated for your PTSD in order to get pension. P&T is administratively granted at age 65 for pension.

You can be eligible for both VA Pension and VA Compensation. The VA gives you the option of receiving the higher of the two benefits. Example: some vets elect to receive pension in lieu of comp. A few months later the vet starts to receive Social Security Disability--which is countable income against VA Pension. If the Soc. Security Disability income is high enough--it knocks him/her out of VA Pension. *If he/she has 20 year protection--the VA Compensation percentage/money is reinstated by VARO. If you do not have the 20 yr protection, the VARO may request re-examination before reinstating the VA Comp. Second example: a vet could be 10% service connected for hemmrhoids which is not P/T, but suffers non-service connected severe spinal arthritis which qualifies him/her as P/T for VA Pension. **Permanent and total for VA Pension is a different evaluation. As correctly prior mentioned---at age 65 you meet the P/T requirement for VA Pension. Age 65 or even 95,--age has nothing to do with VA Comp rating, just your service connected disability(s). Also, remember VA Pension requires WarTime Service, VA Comp does not. I am sure there are other questions/scenarios to look at. I hope this helps a little.

• 8 months later...

My pension was originally started in 2000. Do to an outstanding warrant, I was taken off until I got warrant dropped. Did that on Febuary of last year. Today they are taken my pension until back pay is complete. That is the hold amount and, it will take me two years before I get it paid off.

I was givin 90 days to appeal the over payment. Do to severe depression, I did not compy with the early warning. I am unemployable and need the funds.

Has anyone gone through this? If one has. How does someone deal with this matter.

• 3 months later...

My pension was originally started in 2000. Do to an outstanding warrant, I was taken off until I got warrant dropped. Did that on Febuary of last year. Today they are taken my pension until back pay is complete. That is the hold amount and, it will take me two years before I get it paid off.

I was givin 90 days to appeal the over payment. Do to severe depression, I did not compy with the early warning. I am unemployable and need the funds.

Has anyone gone through this? If one has. How does someone deal with this matter.

What does a warrant have to do with ssi or pension. What would make them take your funds and how do they know of it. Was it misdemenour or felony. WOW I never knew that even mattered. I hope I am not being to personal.

• HadIt.com Elder

Cano,

seems like i've heard that a vet can file a waiver to have the back pay repaid.

You may want to ask your VSO if you have one as to how to do this & what form you may need.