VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Why Does The Va Do This?

Rate this question

vistagirl81

Question

My husband was in the Navy he was deployed this last time from March 08 to Oct 08,In Dec 08 he went to the va to seek help for his depression.( he was told he could not go there until he go out of the military) He was sent to a hospital for 7 days. He is always depressed and in pain. He has bad headaches 3-4 times a week for hrs at a time, knee problems, he always walks with a limp, the va gave him an x-ray and said everything was fine, but his knee is always swollen. What i am not understanding is why wont they give him anything for his pain. they gave him Ibuprofin 800mg, which does little to help.I understand he has had suicidal idealations but he is getting worse, the miliraty gave him Vicodin why wont they help him now? I just don't know what to do , how to help him,,, it makes me so mad, when he goes to see his PRimary care Dr he tells him its all in his head and when he starts to do things he enjoys he will feel better...?? I think not,

My husband is no longer in the military he got out Dec08 , served 8 yrs. thank you all for the reply's

Edited by vistagirl81

• Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

My husband got out of the military, Dec 08, he was on leave from Oct to the time of his release.I stay with him now and makes sure he goes to all his apt. he has so many, He goes to the Va atleast 4 times a week for apt. I just want them to help him so he's not in so much pain all the time.

Has he ever filed a claim for benefits ?

Has he been granted any SC'd disability ?

What are the appointments he's going to VA for at least 4 times a week ?

carlie

He filed a claim for depression, with SI,Knee pain, headache due to getting hit by an Air craft(the va said his headaches are not from that but maybe from his depression) constant back pain.. his 4 times a week is to his Social worker, Psycologist.. there trying to help him come to terms and deal with his pain... teaching him breathing methods to get his pain from a 10 to a 9.

MMMM, I would have said,

"you're right, IT IS IN MY DAMN HEAD."

Where else would depression be????

Some shrinks think they know it all.

Jay

his PRimary care Dr he tells him its all in his head and when he starts to do things he enjoys he will feel better...?? I think not,

back in the 90s when i called the VA to apply for benefits, i was told no and simply took it lying down. last year, i needed it!!! i wouldnt take no for an answer. i went online and applied for benefits, followed up on it constantly. they lost my ppwk about 3-4 times, put in i was a male (ummm, not so much!), screwed up my ssn and name....but i was a persistent little heifer!! initially, i was declined. i appealed and was approved. the entire process was approx 4 months. no problems since then. but, be aware that once u start going to the va for help, ur gonna be there all the time. i joke about it being my 2nd job :)

so, all that was to say be vigilant and persistent. get ur hubby the help he needs and deserves. stand ur ground. he fought for this country and now it sounds like its ur turn to lead him in this battle. do not take no for an answer. the only thing i could see them turning u down for is if u guys fall into priority group 8.

He filed a claim for depression, with SI,Knee pain, headache due to getting hit by an Air craft(the va said his headaches are not from that but maybe from his depression) constant back pain..

Have you actually seen his 21-526 form - request for comp and pension ?

It would be very unusual to list "depression, with SI" on a original claim.

Something is also backwards here, a person may get

depression due to headaches,

but I do not see how your going to be able to connect

headaches due to depression.

My suggestion would be to take smr's to a private doctor and start working on

an Independent Medical Opinion, (IMO).

It will be imperative that an IMO doc state they have reviewed the veteran's smr's

and support their conclussions with medical rationale that relates to active duty.

Example:

I have reviewed this veteran's service medical records.

As shown in veteran's smr's dated XX/XX/XXXX and XX/XX/XXXX-

TMC 4 - progress and treatment notes show SM complained of

headaches that began we he was hit by an Air craft on XX/XX/XXXX.

At the time he was sent for physical therapy and put on profile for

XX days. He was provided XXX pain medication for this injury.

It is my medical opinion that the veterans current diagnosis of headaches

are a) directly, b) more likely, c) as likely than not a direct result of this injury.

FYI - I just used headaches as an example - but since he has them the doc

should also make a statement concerning the frequency of headaches and

how they are being medically treated and if they are prostrating.

his 4 times a week is to his Social worker, Psycologist.. there trying to help him come to terms and deal with his pain... teaching him breathing methods to get his pain from a 10 to a 9.

In my opinion this is unacceptable.

Does he have any history of drug abuse or addiction ?

I'd sure want to find out why they aren't providing any true pain medication

besides "Ibuprofin 800mg".

jmho,

carlie