VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Anger Management

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

You're talking about "anger management", whereas I am referring to "Major Depressive Disorder".

They are NOT one in the same.

And, you'll not cure MDD by "thinking happy thoughts".

And, I'm referring back to your assinine remark:

"You can disagree but both anger and depression come from within us. It's caused by how we think about things that go on around us. Once one realizes that, they can change their thinking."

And, I say "assinine" bacause it belittles those of us who do suffer from MDD. How is it belittling? By inferring that, somehow we are not capable of controlling our "emotions", when all we really have to do is "think happy thoughts", without taking into consideration the endless months and years that have been taken from our lives by this terrible DISEASE! YES, it IS a DISEASE, and, just like you can no more "cure" appendicitis by "changeing your thinking", we can no more cure MDD by doing the same!

I was deeply offended by someone even making such a stupid remark!

Edited by LarryJ

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So true Larry.

As far as "Anger Management"....I'm not going to tip-toe thru life in an attempt to avoid being angry. I refuse to miss my son's baseball games because other parents are being a$$holes.

I can be thrown into a severe anger cycle just opening the mail!!! (When there are lots of bills)...But I have to do it.

I hate being angry all the time...I tell all my psych docs this & all I get is that deer in the headlight stare back and some stupid remark about having happy thoughts or avoiding situations. That's it!

Only two therapists I had really worked with my anger issues......one retired, the other one took another job.

I enjoy my anger moments too especially when i'm depressed. Anger has a way of letting me forgot about my depression. I sometimes feel high when I get angry. I yell, throw stuff, beat my stuffed animals, and usually don't stop until I feel some pain. Pain as in I hit something and I bruise myself up a little. The pain is another part of the high that I like and after the pain my anger goes down.

It's all a process and as long as no one gets in my way when I'm angry everyone's safe except for the furniture.

Jay

So true Larry.

As far as "Anger Management"....I'm not going to tip-toe thru life in an attempt to avoid being angry. I refuse to miss my son's baseball games because other parents are being a$$holes.

I can be thrown into a severe anger cycle just opening the mail!!! (When there are lots of bills)...But I have to do it.

I hate being angry all the time...I tell all my psych docs this & all I get is that deer in the headlight stare back and some stupid remark about having happy thoughts or avoiding situations. That's it!

Only two therapists I had really worked with my anger issues......one retired, the other one took another job.

• HadIt.com Elder

Geez Larry, but that's tough stuff that you were offended. Depression still comes from within and I stand by my statement. Changing ones thinking can certainly improve ones condition. Some may need some medication, to assist, at times, but to blame everyone else or outside sources is plain ridiculous! jmo

pr

You're talking about "anger management", whereas I am referring to "Major Depressive Disorder".

They are NOT one in the same.

And, you'll not cure MDD by "thinking happy thoughts".

And, I'm referring back to your assinine remark:

"You can disagree but both anger and depression come from within us. It's caused by how we think about things that go on around us. Once one realizes that, they can change their thinking."

And, I say "assinine" bacause it belittles those of us who do suffer from MDD. How is it belittling? By inferring that, somehow we are not capable of controlling our "emotions", when all we really have to do is "think happy thoughts", without taking into consideration the endless months and years that have been taken from our lives by this terrible DISEASE! YES, it IS a DISEASE, and, just like you can no more "cure" appendicitis by "changeing your thinking", we can no more cure MDD by doing the same!

I was deeply offended by someone even making such a stupid remark!

Soooooo PR,

Most of my PTSD and MDD comes from being raped while active duty. How again is this my fault? How again does this "come from within"?

No. You've crossed a dangerous line here. I suggest you stop playing doctor.

• HadIt.com Elder

purple - I'm not saying that. Some people get PTSD and some don't, all from the same type of incident. How we deal w/what has happened is an individual process. Rape is a terrible event and I'm glad it never has happened to me. But how that life shattering/changing event effects a person is a personal thing. A person can choose to accept and move on. PTSD is also an accept and move on thing. I can choose to wallow(sp) in self-pity, being angry, or I can accept that bad things happen to good people. We know life is not fair. I choose to accept what has happened and move on. It is hard and everyday I have to work at it but I continue to try. I'm not going to comment on this topic anymore. I've defended my position. You and Larry can agree or disagree w/me. jmo

Soooooo PR,

Most of my PTSD and MDD comes from being raped while active duty. How again is this my fault? How again does this "come from within"?

No. You've crossed a dangerous line here. I suggest you stop playing doctor.

Edited by Philip Rogers