VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Iu When 2 Appy ?what Is Needed?

Rate this question

rikkor

Question

I have been unemployed for over 20+ yrs. after becoming SC disabled currently @ 60 %.

Reason being, have had numerous MH problems, Chronic pain,depression, anixity, flashbks, insomnia, besides constant medication and substance abuse problems, secondary to SC injury.(traumatic Laceration of achilles tendon and nerves) when struck/attacked with a power- lawnmower from behind by another unknown active duty soldier, while in AIT. I spent almost 16 months in an army hosp. due to said injury, and subsequently was ret.(med. RET) @ the age of 19. I could'nt file for SS. or actually denied , as i did'nt have enough work credits.

I continue to have the same problems if not worst, and have been denied SC for PTSD even tho I feel it is presumtuous that PTSD would occur from any like injury, ie. traumatic and serious( darn near severerd my leg off)I filed for IU in 2006 considering I have been unemployed all my life and was denied. any suggestions would be considered. thanks

• Answers 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

rikkor, the next time you are at the VAMC go to the release of information office and request a copy of your mental health records and progress notes. This may take some time but this is what you need. Some VAMCs don't like to release this information out to patients but if you persist they will. My point here is, have you been diagnosed with a mental disorder and what was/is it. To be granted service connection you must first have to be diagnosed in the military and have a current diagnoses and go from there. If you are being treated by the VA they should have a diagnoses and you can also contact other hospitals and emergency rooms where you were to get those records to find your diagnoses. Some may not agree but Va will only pay compensation for the mental disorder that best describes your condition. It really doesn't matter if it is called depression, PTSD, mood, or anxiety disorder they all follow the same rating depending on the severity of your symptoms.

You can also claim depression due to your service connected conditions. This may take some work on your behalf VA may or may not have all these records especially the record (s) of suicidal tendencies

Edited by pacmanx1

• HadIt.com Elder

Any vet w/ptsd is entitled to Vet Ctr counseling, as is/are the family members of a ptsd vet. He can salvage his claim by appealing the denial. He can, as you suggested, also call it anxiety disorder, if he chooses. I helped a friend, VN vet win, recently, but he applied for PTSD and they changed it to anxiety disorder, claimed as PTSD, cuz he didn't meet all the PTSD criteria and awarded him 30%. The thing is they verified his stressors for PTSD and I don't know that you need stressor verification for anxiety disorder. AATW!!!

pr

All The Way Bro.... So my question is.. how does he salvage his PTSD claim at this point?? appeal his denial?? Vet Center will not deal with non-combat veterans.. he might have eligibility due to his service dates.. I know I am not eligible.

Vet Center will not deal with non-combat veterans.. he might have eligibility due to his service dates.. I know I am not eligible.

airborne,

Vet Centers provide full services and deal with non-combat vets all the time.

Did you attempt to have services provided at a Vet Center and they denied you

for some reason?

carlie

airborne18 - okay! I just feel that he has a verifiable stressor(nexus), which many combat vets don't have. The 20 yrs later thing is the "P" in PTSD, ie: "Post." Lets see, I left VN in 9/67 and never realized there was anything wrong w/me until the late 80's. Never had any treatment between then and when I filed but did have the appropriate social history. Perhaps he should file for a PTSD/anxiety disorder. My concern there is that I know of no cured PTSD cases but I'm sure the VA will "find" a cure for anxiety. We can disagree. BTW, I went thru jump school in 6/65 at Benning and was a 11B4P, w/the 1st Bde (Abn), 1st Cav, 7/65-9/67. Airborne, ATW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pr

in addition , i believe both of you are correct...many details are obscure, its been so long and I appreciate all your input.. may god bless u.

i believe i was ret @ 40% of e-2 pay which turned out to be in 1977...$77.00 a month so i wavied ret. pay and chose V. A . comp which started me on the same 40 percent.

Note .since being ret. i have been in and out of V.A. hospitals. I did not know about PTSD.

Nor was PTSD recognized for other vets until many yrs. later .. maybe in the 80's, not exactly sure.

And my hospitalzations were mostly inpatient,( for MH), and I had different diagnoses from Each VA hospital..but i had continued contact with VA hospitals from date of discharge from milatary, up to the present. complaints of chronic pain, depression, suicidal ideations, anixity,Etc. I believe these can be nexus to my injury inclusive of the PTSD as a secondary, my injury is def a stressor, def serious( almost choped off my leg) traumatic, and i did spend 16 long months in the ARMY hospitals , in patient for operations, ETC. they even had me on morphine for the 1st 6 months of injury, prior to my med ret'ment. I came out totally useless, and my conditions are permanant and would worsen as diagnosed by ARMY dr. 's statement s on record. I def appricate your help and any suggestions God bless u..and thanks again.

• HadIt.com Elder

rikkor - I believe PTSD became an accepted diagnosis in 1981, in the DSM-III. I would request complete copies of your VA medical records and your VA claims file (c-file) and then look for errors in the original rating or any subsequent rating. Once you get copies of your records, I would also look for any mention of you being unable to work being noted. I'd also request an increase in your current VA compensation. Additionally, I'd continue w/your TDIU claim/appeal. Monday, you should contact an SSDI atty and your nearest Vet Ctr. You should bear in mind that VA medical records are not associated w/your c-file unless you tell them about them. The VA does this so they can honestly deny claims, as there is no evidence of any treatment, in the record. It's a great system for screwing vets. jmo

pr

Edited by Philip Rogers

• HadIt.com Elder

If you are 60% SC and one disability is at least 40% you have enough for IU now. File for it regardless. If you can't work due to SC disability file for IU. Don't wait for a PTSD diagnosis. I have been diagnosed with everything from schizophrenia to bi-polar, panic disorder and PTSD. It does not matter if you can't work because of it. My rating included all four of those disorders, plus a few. I got 70% and IU.