VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Men And Mst

Rate this question

carl1124

Question

Up till about a 2 week ago I have never talk about this, but it has affected my life with ever thing I do. I was 20 I was station in Diego Garcia. I was sitting on the beach when I was Sexual assault by two men. After that I started drinking hard and end up in Rehab for 6 weeks. I still did not talk about then I was a fearfully that I would get kick out of the Navy for being nuts or homosexual, "Please remember that was 1986 and the Military was on the hunt for any one that might be gay". I am unable to hold a job for 2 years at time and now take Citalopram for depression. At times my depression is so bad I think it would be easier if I just ended it all. I have all kinds problems when it comes to men. I don't trust many people and sit in my computer room most days. I feel safest when no one is around me and God help anyone that sneaks up on me. I have real bad mood swings . Last week I went to the V.A. and told them what happen and the meds. I take. Who did I get for a Doctor was retired Navy Capt. that did not know what to say or act. He looked at me like I was some kind of freak. I know that I need help with this I can not do by myself any more. It has taken 20 years to talk about it, and taken so much of my life away from me. There is so much help out there for women, but I am finding very little help for men. :(

• Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Carl,

Welcome aboard. I am a male MST survivor as well. You will need a VA Mental Health provider if you ever intend to go to the Center for Sexual Trauma Services at VAMC Bay Pines. Unfortunately, that means putting up with the BS at VA.

There are a definitive lack of services for us. There are no MST groups here for me. I understand the pain you are going through.

Stick around and keep asking questions.

Brian

Well the V.A has seen me and is taken care of me now with M/H. They went me come in Once a month. I don't know if I am going to put in claim on PDST yet. Just going to see the Doctor was hard on me did not sleep the night before at all.

Carl,

Welcome aboard. I am a male MST survivor as well. You will need a VA Mental Health provider if you ever intend to go to the Center for Sexual Trauma Services at VAMC Bay Pines. Unfortunately, that means putting up with the BS at VA.

There are a definitive lack of services for us. There are no MST groups here for me. I understand the pain you are going through.

Stick around and keep asking questions.

Brian

CowPie,

I'm at Bay Pines every week and know the PTSD/MST programs inside and out,

so I respectfully but strongly disagree with you on the points you have made regarding

Bay Pines direct.

You do not need to have a "VA Mental Health provider "if you ever intend to go to the Center for Sexual Trauma Services (CSTS) at VAMC Bay Pines."

Most of the PTSD especially MST/PTSD has been moved over by the domicilliary next door

to the SATP program.

You posted, "There are no MST groups here for me."

They may not be programs that you or I are very pleased with but there are programs for MST offered by Bay Pines.

These programs can be accessed as either Residential or Outpatient.

To access Residential Services for PTSD/MST at Bay Pines VAMC:

One would need to be referred from a provider along with an opinion expressing their belief's that the veteran meets the requirements of eligibility for the program,that they feel the program would be beneficial to the veteran and that they feel the veteran is currently physically and mentally stabalized enough to meet the demands and requirements to complete the program.

Residential services are co-ed and may include veteran's that suffer from PTSD

that is not MST related.

To access Outpatient Services for PTSD/MST at Bay Pines VAMC:

1)

Bay Pines offers outpatient services that are modules of services for PTSD/MST in the CSTS

area.

The veteran begins with orientation and then attends weekly groups and progresses through

each module.

One module may last from a couple of weeks to a couple of months.

The modules are co-ed. Veterans do not discuss their personal MST experience during these

outpatient modules. The modules are "designed" to teach mental health tools, coping skills and daily living skills for dealing with the symptoms of PTSD/MST.

2)

Bay Pines offers one on one counseling for PTSD/MST.

If anyone is having problems accessing outpatient services for PTSD/MST at Bay Pines -

just go to CSTS and leave a note with your name, SS# and phone number for a

Psychiatrist there named Dr. Rizalina Tan, she is usually very good in following up on getting service's rendered.

3)

Not Bay Pines direct - but another avenue of treatment for PTSD/MST in the Bay Pines area

can be accessed as, one on one therapy at the Vet Center on 1st Ave. North, Saint Petersburg, Fl.

BTW - this Vet Center is being readied to re-locate and in Aug/Sept 2009 will move over across from Tyrone Mall.

If anyone has difficulty accessing service's at this Vet Center, request to speak to

Laura and tell her that Carla suggested you go there to access service's for MST.

All of the above information is factual.

carlie