VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ssdi

Rate this question

steve Mck

Question

Currently 100% PTSD schedular. Forced to retire due to PTSD @ 62. Drawing SS entitlement but at lower rate due to forced retirement. Should I apply for SSDI? If I do how does this affect my SS monthly income? If granted SSDI do I bump up to the entitlement that I would have received at 65? Or when I reach 65 in three years what happens to the SS-SSDI amounts? Does the wife who draws off of my SS record have a monitory change as well? How so? In otherwords, if I have to go through all of the paperwork of appyling, getting it all together etc., and my PTSD has me crippled is it worth my efforts? Maybe someone knows the answers to these questions. Thanks.

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

steve - you should've applied for SSDI when you were forced to retire. I'd apply for SSDI now but I don't know if you can get it changed. If you can, you would go back to the full rate. Getting another roughly 31% would certainly be worth it, in my opinion. At 65, without any change you will receive the same amount you are receiving now, but with your COLA added.

pr

Currently 100% PTSD schedular. Forced to retire due to PTSD @ 62. Drawing SS entitlement but at lower rate due to forced retirement. Should I apply for SSDI? If I do how does this affect my SS monthly income? If granted SSDI do I bump up to the entitlement that I would have received at 65? Or when I reach 65 in three years what happens to the SS-SSDI amounts? Does the wife who draws off of my SS record have a monitory change as well? How so? In otherwords, if I have to go through all of the paperwork of appyling, getting it all together etc., and my PTSD has me crippled is it worth my efforts? Maybe someone knows the answers to these questions. Thanks.

• HadIt.com Elder

Steve:

You had some good luck cause now you have till 66 or some extra time. PR is correct if you can get SSD approved you will get the full rate and not the discounted. It makes a difference to your wife also.

It might be worth your while to go to nearest Social Security Office and ask them to help. Unli9ke VA they actually do try to help.

Good Luck