VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Just Returned From Ptsd C & P

Rate this question

Notorious Kelly

Question

45 minute session - nice doctor

Spent 30% of time on childhood: upbringing, trauma, feelings about that

Then: Do I avoid thinking/talking about stressor?

What causes PTSD symptoms? How do I spend my time? etc

I really don't buy that the "Remember 4 things to repeat later.." is an accurate test of your concentration/memory abilities but....

My primary problems are chronic pain associated with neuropathy, etc and I was honest about that.

He said it takes a couple months to hear anything.

He didn't ask anything about homicidal ideation but it's in paperwork I submitted. I brought my whole packet, including a collateral letter I just received from my sister yesterday. Appears that he only saw what was in my VA records but none of the evidence I submitted with PTSD application.

I also included my UI info in a summary at the end of the stressor letter instead of the outdated ailment list in my records.

So, it's in the works! For anyone anxious about the PTSD C & P it was pretty painless.

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

45 minute session - nice doctor

Spent 30% of time on childhood: upbringing, trauma, feelings about that

Then: Do I avoid thinking/talking about stressor?

What causes PTSD symptoms? How do I spend my time? etc

I really don't buy that the "Remember 4 things to repeat later.." is an accurate test of your concentration/memory abilities but....

My primary problems are chronic pain associated with neuropathy, etc and I was honest about that.

He said it takes a couple months to hear anything.

He didn't ask anything about homicidal ideation but it's in paperwork I submitted. I brought my whole packet, including a collateral letter I just received from my sister yesterday. Appears that he only saw what was in my VA records but none of the evidence I submitted with PTSD application.

I also included my UI info in a summary at the end of the stressor letter instead of the outdated ailment list in my records.

So, it's in the works! For anyone anxious about the PTSD C & P it was pretty painless.

im pretty anxious about it. just filed my claim so i havent had an exam scheduled yet. ur exam sounds just like the ptsd eval that i am in the process of going thru. surely they wont make me repeat that. at least i hope not. it took me from friday last wk till last nite to get more than 2 hrs sleep. glad it was pretty painless for u!!

Thanks, clw! :)

That's why I posted the synopsis, so those of you who haven't yet gone might feel a bit more comfy with it.

In hindsight, I can see where the questions he asked were targeted at the areas in DSM IV etc that we read on here. You'll get different questions, I bet, but I'm sure the best strategy is just to be honest.

My memory sux so I have no choice - no way I could keep track of lies :D

I probably didn't do 'well' in terms of getting rated for PTSD, but I don't regret not trying to skew the results.

When your day comes you'll do fine! :)

For some vets the PTSD C & P is very painful.

Even anticipating it brings up the stressors again and again.

I am glad you had a positive feeling.

The C & P can provide the diagnosis and extent of the PTSD- regarding a rating.

With a proven stressor , it then can become an award.

I am curious, do they still have PTSD vets fill out the calendar?

This was done for Vietnam vets with a one year TDY in Vietnam month by month.I think it was part of the PTSD questionnaire.

• HadIt.com Elder

The thirty minutes spent on your childhood was 30 minutes looking for a personality disorder. I hope you told him you had a wonderful childhood, loved your parents, loved school and never drank or took one toke of dope, or got into a fistfight. I know about this since I had an exam where the doctor asked those questions and I made honest answers and got a anti-social personality disorder diagnosis because I skipped school once and got into a fistfight once.

Mine is non-combat Berta, for a violent accident in 1979 that I've never been able to remember.

What's odd is, I have nightmares and meet all of the DSM IV criteria, but he didn't go much into that.

I'm at peace with however it goes. John, I did tell him about the alcoholism and domestic abuse in my family. He asked if it ever made me feel afraid or angry and I said both.

I'm so wiped out physically that I know the IU is a match, regardless of how it goes. So I'm not as concerned with the PTSD, but doing it as part of the process, since I do have a diagnosis from my psychologist.

Thanks, Billy.

Ya, I'm kinda better at hindsight than on my feet. I was about to bring up the violent thoughts but he didn't really allow room for it.

"If I had it to do over" I'd have a list of items to bring up, as opposed to just bringing the large packet of evidence with me.

He breezed thru pretty quick. I could have gotten emotional if we'd gone down that road but he kept it pretty clinical.

BTW- for those who haven't been scheduled yet, here's the only instructions I received prior to the exam:

PTSDapptInstructions.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee287/n...nstructions.jpg