VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Doctor Problems

Rate this topic

I need the advice of the elders and someone more in possession of their "faculties" than myself. I have been seeing the same VA psychiatrist for my PTSD (70% IU) for the last eight years. He has adamantly refused me a narcotic that has proven to work well for me in the past. I finally resolved myself to that and didn't press the issue.

Late last year, I presented my VA PCP with x-rays showing marked degenerative arthuritus in my back. I also showed where my private physician had prescribed Percoset for it. The VA PCP agreed to provide the Percoset through the VA. When my shrink found out about it, tho' he said very little, he immeditely downgraded the severity of my symptoms from "severe" to "moderate" and today I find out that he has cut off my psych meds! They all don't usually expire on the same date, they're staggered but I tried to renew them through the automated system and they all had expired.

I'm not too concerned about the first item, as I have hard, empirical evidence, through tests administered through the Vet Center that my PTSD symptoms are much worse than the 70% level but the latter disturbs me greatly. It was my understanding that one is definitely not supposed to go "cold turkey" off of psych meds!

I have enough meds to make it through next week, when I'll confirm the he has indeed cut me off but this doesn't sound right at all.

Any advice in how to deal with this Doctor? I will admit that I am not well appreciated at this Med Center, as I have been going here since the seventies and have been very vocal about my treatment there. However, I believe this goes "beyond the frey".

Any comment about downgrading the symptoms? Should I be more concerned about this?

Will very much appreciate some advice.

Thanks and sorry about the length of this

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This goes beyond wrong.

If you are close to yr VAMC...go to the Pt Advocate Office and/or the Directors Office on Monday...tell them what has happened and formally request a new psych doc.

Also go to Prime Care....explain the situation and see if your PCP will prescribe the psych meds...doesn't hurt to ask.

Be sure to document all of this...who you talk to, what they say & when.

This goes beyond wrong.

If you are close to yr VAMC...go to the Pt Advocate Office and/or the Directors Office on Monday...tell them what has happened and formally request a new psych doc.

Also go to Prime Care....explain the situation and see if your PCP will prescribe the psych meds...doesn't hurt to ask.

Be sure to document all of this...who you talk to, what they say & when.

purple is right on who to contact i had a similar issue and she took care of it within minutes...patient advocate office has helped me more than once ..hope that you get a a good psych dr....

Thanks, I haven't had good results with patient advocates in the past but it has been a long time since I have talked to one. I first will make absolutely sure that he has canceled my meds and it is not some glitch and then head for the advocate's office.

Appreciate it.

jaz

Good idea.....not like the VA computer system has ever had a glitch before....LOL!!!!

Also might try calling your psych doc outright and just asking him....if he did it; see what he says.

Best of luck...be sure to keep us informed on what happens.

• HadIt.com Elder

Jaz you have to stand up for yourself. These Docs can get some screwy ideas and I bet if it was himself or a member of his family he would be getting a prescription for himself.