VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Post Traumatic Vertigo

Rate this question

militarynurse

Question

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Military Nurse? This is how I was finally diagnosed. I dont know about the head , but the neck I do .The Atlas( c-1) and the Axis of the upper neck. The head is attached to it, by tiny ligaments. I was diagnosed by a chiropracter who was looking for different things. Altho his reading of the xray was the same as the radiologists. They look the placement of the bones.

Front xray with the mouth open to see the placement of the cervical atlas and the axis. Usually a side xray too. Regular xray. Need not be an mri. Sometimes when a person gets a head injury, the Atlas gets jolted as well. The atlas is 1/4 inch away from the inner ear, and close to the brain stem. It doesnt take much of a head injury and or a neck injury to set the vertigo off , bother the inner ears or irritate the brain stem. When I think of it, how could a person who suffered a head trauma, not have a neck trauma as well.

The medical doctors tend to look at xrays of a neck for herniations, buldges, compressions, fractures and they dont seem to look for the placement of the atlas -axis. Which its postion, if slightly jolted can cause serious problems because of its close location to the brain stem, inner ear etc. It can encroach on the inner ear. Many people with ear symptoms have them due to their necks. They think its their ears. If you go to an ENT and he says your ears are ok, check your neck!

The human Atlas can cause almost anything to happen. A person can have vertigo, neurological symptoms, vision problems, ear symptoms, even heart palpatations and even high blood pressure, and the sympathetic nervous system can even get irritated. This is usually over looked time and time again. Thats why I mentioned it. I know lots of people very sick from this. Not just me. Maybe this post can help someone. Vertigo or head trauma is debilitaing and I feel sorry for anyone living with it.

cindy-mightyoak

I know a veteran that got Vertigo after a head and neck injury back in 1976 while in the Army. He told me the VA ENT don't know why he have it. What is the VA rate for Vertigo?

• HadIt.com Elder

§4.87 Schedule of ratings—ear.

http://www.warms.vba.va.gov/regs/38CFR/BOOKC/PART4/S4_87.DOC

Diseases of the Ear

Rating

6204 Peripheral vestibular disorders:

Dizziness and occasional staggering 30

Occasional dizziness 10

Note: Objective findings supporting the diagnosis of vestibular disequilibrium are required before a compensable evaluation can be assigned under this code. Hearing impairment or suppuration shall be separately rated and combined.

• HadIt.com Elder

[veteran that got Vertigo after a head and neck injury, He told me the VA ENT don't know why he have it.]

Maurice,

Tell your vet to stay away from the ENT he saw. The ENT is obviously a moron or works for the RO more than the VAMC.

Dizziness, vertigo, balance issues follow head & neck injuries. I don't make this stuff up. It's medical science. If the ENT doesn't know why theres vertigo after a head/neck trauma, it's because he doesn't want to.

Either way he's no help with medical opinions or health care.

I can't tell you how many people I've met that can't hold a job down anywhere but the VA.

Thanks you Allen

Tell your vet to stay away from the ENT he saw. The ENT is obviously a moron or works for the RO more than the VAMC.

Dizziness, vertigo, balance issues follow head & neck injuries.

Confused

TBI, is it cause by a tramatic incident, or is cause a by a blow to the head.

I have always had a dizziness, and have been put in the emergency room, because of attacks of vertigo during another medical test. I have had inner ear problems, that cause staggering and dizziness.

I have been given medicine to counter the conditions. Too this day, if I lay back on a doctor table, I get dizzy

This was minor after RVN, but peak after retirement. so bad one time that I had to crawl to the Bathroom, because I could not not walk. Like most of life, I was alone with no one around, poor me.