VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Do I Need To Do Next? To Get Assigned A Pcp.

Rate this topic

Last October I was referred to the pain clinic but the referral was dropped as I don’t use the VA for primary health care. When I found this out by pulling my records in January I got an appointment in May to interview for a PCP. I met with a very helpful doc who agreed to resend the referral and become my PCP. In June the Nurse practitioner in the pain clinic said I was still not assigned a PCP and she would try to get it straightened. out. Three weeks ago a pain clinic pharmacist sent a request for a medication dosage to be increased. That message went nowhere as I do not have A PCP. Tried again last week and still not getting a response. Saturday I run out of this medicine and can not see the Doc until 25 AUG. I cannot get a hold of a patient advocate as they are rarely available in the office and have not returned any of my calls since this started.

I would really appreciate suggestions of what to do next

The medication is Gabapentin if that makes a difference

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The patient advocate will respond if you call the director of the facility- which one is it? I might have the director's phone number.

They may have a Chief of Staff as well- but sometimes the COS is also the director too.

Has your 10% SC increased? Have you filed a claim for higher rating if it has?

• HadIt.com Elder

That is a big problem. VA people telling you something and no follow through. Its like they all operate in a vacuum expecting someone else to do what is needed.Don't even depend on the patient advocate you have to double check on everyone.

• HadIt.com Elder

Non-veterans or vets who don't use the VA would think we are suspicious minded, but it is just the reality of the VA. I can't understand why the VA would not immediately assign this vet a PCP since they are the key to all other services at the VAMC.

• HadIt.com Elder

"Last October I was referred to the pain clinic but the referral was dropped as I don’t use the VA for primary health care."

Who did the referral to the pain management clinic?

All the referrals that I have gotten (orthosis dept., pain management clinic, vision center, orthopaedics, etc.) have ALL been through my Primary Care Physician.

I cannot see anyone else doing any "referring", as the PCP is the only one set up to do so (that is, after all, the reason for having a PCP, right?).

When you sign up for VA healthcare, and receive your VA healthcare ID card, you are assigned a "clinic" and a Primary Care Physician and an initial health exam is scheduled for you, with this PCP.

Or, at least, that's the way it worked for me.

PCP= primary care person(nurse practitioner) is what they utalize more where I go. I can see how someone loses when their pcp transfers to another area, and one calls and drops in for months with no avail...each one drops the ball...finally after 7-8 mths they got the picture. Finally got pcp(another nurse pract). Glad I use private Dr for all my controlled meds.