VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Pain Management Modules

Rate this topic

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

I think most pain managment techniques are witchcraft. For instance, there is no proof that nerve blocks actually work. Pain doctors make big money doing these instead of just giving perscriptions. No money in just writing a prescription for an opiate.

• HadIt.com Elder

A few years ago 60 Minutes did a show on pain and prescription meds. The main thing that was pointed out was that most Doctors are afraid to write the prescriptions that are needed for people who suffer from serious pain.

They followed a Doctor who wrote some heavy prescriptions and the patients they showed had major relief and went from being invalids to people who could do a lot of things that they had quit doing.

Although I am prescribed some pretty good medicine for pain I try to not use it unless I really need it. I make my wife angry as she thinks that the Meds are needed and I worry about using them till they are ineffective and I would need more.

• HadIt.com Elder

gousto64,

[allen what are you service connected for ]

hearing loss/tinnitus, urinary incontinence. Spinal disorders are before CAVC & MS/bipolar, etc are pending at the RO level since they were held back by the BVA/AMC.

They were finally filed in June-09 but the claim hasn't been started on by the VARO as of today.

My guess is 5 yrs from now they will start to consider what to low ball & deny or string out for another decade.

Pete,

[Although I am prescribed some pretty good medicine for pain I try to not use it unless I really need it. I make my wife angry as she thinks that the Meds are needed and I worry about using them till they are ineffective and I would need more.]

The key is not to exceed what your prescribed and take only what is effective. You may need to see a psychologist who really knows pain medication to determine what is best for you

Short term pain medication does not work for me. I have severe neurological pain. So I need something working all the time that doesn't rob me of my life by making me so lethargic.

Being less mobile due to pain isn't good on your health either. Your right about pain meds loosing their effect over time. Your body adjusts to them. Much of my problem was taking medications I was intolerant to, just because they were cheaper. It matters little to VA care providers. They push whatever is on the list today.

I've asked my current VA PCP for a prescription for Oxycontin (CR). But was told only terminal patients can get it. So I continue to pay cash for it through a private Dr. It's very expensive but my life is much better not being on methadone or morphine. They make me sick.

I've been taking this for several yrs now without needing an increase. The VA does supply Oxycontin 5mg for breakthrough pain & this seems to work best for me.

Taking the right pain medication is the key.

• HadIt.com Elder

I can't take the morphine and methadone either. It does make me sick. I get by on oxycodone. It is not effective any more, so I am trying to reduce the amount I take to make it work again since that is all I get. I think Pete is right that doctors are afraid to prescribe the right amounts and kinds of pain meds. I know in Florida they are scared to death because DEA is breathing down their necks. I went to a private pain doctor and all I got was darvoset. That is like asprin to me. Oxycontin is long acting oxycodone. This would be great for me but I can't get it because I am not dying of cancer. I might shop around for a private doctor who would prescribe it but I forgot that is a crime in Florida.