VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dic Benefits For Mom

bookhart 1

my father died april 08 he was 100% DV my father service related injury was a fractured leg and a total knee replacement.my father couldnt get around at all he couldnt walk or even do the basic exercise he developed diabetes which lead to heart problems and kidney problems.i applied for benefits for my mom they are asking me to prove that his death was service related. His death certificate reads heart failure ,kidney disease and diabetes how can i prove the leg problem lead to these problems

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

An important question from Sharon and

did he serve in Vietnam during the War?

• 1 month later...
  • HadIt.com Elder

"how can i prove the leg problem lead to these problems"

"My father died april 08 he was 100% DV"

I hope your mother applied for VA benefits within one year after your father died. If not, there will be problems.

You and your mother will need to obtain a complete copy of the medical records. I assume that the records are a combination of VA, service and other medical records.

Then, records in hand, doctors (preferably those that were treating your father) will need to write "IMO'S"

(medical opinions) that link the items on the death certificate to the knee injury and or effects of treatment of the knee injury.

I'd also think that a lawyer specializing in disability and VA law will be needed before it's all over.

(It may be a long hard battle with the VA.) The knee and leg conditions you mention can certainly contribute to the various conditions you mention as the death certificate causes of death. It takes a doctor to connect them in the eyes of the VA and general law.

my father died april 08 he was 100% DV my father service related injury was a fractured leg and a total knee replacement.my father couldnt get around at all he couldnt walk or even do the basic exercise he developed diabetes which lead to heart problems and kidney problems.i applied for benefits for my mom they are asking me to prove that his death was service related. His death certificate reads heart failure ,kidney disease and diabetes how can i prove the leg problem lead to these problems