VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Service Connected Increase

Rate this question

Rhodesia

Question

Hello, I have a question on a service connected claim. I get 10 percent for my left knee due to an injury while on active duty. 1 year after I was awarded SC I submitted for an increase due to having pain issue's in my knee. I was turned down at that time but the C&P doctor did say on my denial letter that I will have continue knee problems. so three years later and more pain I'm looking into doing a increase on my SC. I have asked for a consult for an Orthro Pedic because when I see the VA doctor here as an outpatient he always brings up why the military did not issue me a knee brace. The C&P doctor also said the same thing but you know the story with the VA. well anyway My question is should I wait until after I have my consult before I put in for a increase?

Oh by the way as I was reading my patient notes after my C&P I did notice that when you come in to check in to have a C&P exam the VA writes down how you were dressed, how you came to the VA, by car, bus, car pool, how you were walking, did you show any pain, if you were laughing, having a good time how you were sitting it was like they observe you prior to you having your C&P exam and all this gets entered into your patient notes and for some reason play a major role in the rating board.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

The Knee and Leg

Rating

5256 Knee, ankylosis of:

Extremely unfavorable, in flexion at an angle of 45° or more....................... 60

In flexion between 20° and 45°.......................................................................... 50

In flexion between 10° and 20°.......................................................................... 40

Favorable angle in full extension, or in slight flexion between 0° and 10° 30

5257 Knee, other impairment of:

Recurrent subluxation or lateral instability:

Severe..........................................................................

.................................. 30

Moderate........................................................................

................................ 20

Slight ................................................................................

............................. 10

5258 Cartilage, semilunar, dislocated, with frequent episodes of

“locking,” pain, and effusion into the joint........................................................ 20

5259 Cartilage, semilunar, removal of, symptomatic...................................................... 10

5260 Leg, limitation of flexion of:

Flexion limited to 15°.............................................................................

............... 30

Flexion limited to 30°.............................................................................

............... 20

Flexion limited to 45°.............................................................................

............... 10

Flexion limited to 60°.............................................................................

................. 0

5261 Leg, limitation of extension of:

Extension limited to 45°.............................................................................

.......... 50

Extension limited to 30°.............................................................................

.......... 40

Extension limited to 20°.............................................................................

.......... 30

Extension limited to 15°.............................................................................

.......... 20

Extension limited to 10°.............................................................................

.......... 10

Extension limited to 5°..............................................................................

.............. 0

5262 Tibia and fibula, impairment of:

Nonunion of, with loose motion, requiring brace............................................ 40

Malunion of:

With marked knee or ankle disability........................................................ 30

With moderate knee or ankle disability.................................................... 20

With slight knee or ankle disability........................................................... 10

5263 Genu recurvatum (acquired, traumatic, with weakness and

insecurity in weight-bearing objectively demonstrated) ................................ 10

Thank you for the information

The Knee and Leg

Rating

5256 Knee, ankylosis of:

Extremely unfavorable, in flexion at an angle of 45° or more....................... 60

In flexion between 20° and 45°.......................................................................... 50

In flexion between 10° and 20°.......................................................................... 40

Favorable angle in full extension, or in slight flexion between 0° and 10° 30

5257 Knee, other impairment of:

Recurrent subluxation or lateral instability:

Severe..........................................................................

.................................. 30

Moderate........................................................................

................................ 20

Slight ................................................................................

............................. 10

5258 Cartilage, semilunar, dislocated, with frequent episodes of

"locking," pain, and effusion into the joint........................................................ 20

5259 Cartilage, semilunar, removal of, symptomatic...................................................... 10

5260 Leg, limitation of flexion of:

Flexion limited to 15°.............................................................................

............... 30

Flexion limited to 30°.............................................................................

............... 20

Flexion limited to 45°.............................................................................

............... 10

Flexion limited to 60°.............................................................................

................. 0

5261 Leg, limitation of extension of:

Extension limited to 45°.............................................................................

.......... 50

Extension limited to 30°.............................................................................

.......... 40

Extension limited to 20°.............................................................................

.......... 30

Extension limited to 15°.............................................................................

.......... 20

Extension limited to 10°.............................................................................

.......... 10

Extension limited to 5°..............................................................................

.............. 0

5262 Tibia and fibula, impairment of:

Nonunion of, with loose motion, requiring brace............................................ 40

Malunion of:

With marked knee or ankle disability........................................................ 30

With moderate knee or ankle disability.................................................... 20

With slight knee or ankle disability........................................................... 10

5263 Genu recurvatum (acquired, traumatic, with weakness and

insecurity in weight-bearing objectively demonstrated) ................................ 10

The C&P people do in fact do as you reported......

Part of their little game to screw you......

Seems that the C&P no matter what your injury is is looking to back out and not pay-up

C&P exams are serious stuff should be treated as such, be polite arrive at least 30 minutes ahead of appointment.

Wear the clothes you mowed your lawn in and never be happy, in my case that is easy, never do anything once you arrive to be toooooooooo social, no matter what they play games... then once in they asked leading questions.....

Just sit there and wait for two they usually use.....

It is up to you to do what is right and inform them how you actually feel ALL the time.. like crap

One good day at the C&P can screw your claim up if you have a claim that depends on these things....

go see them be good.

SS

Hello, I have a question on a service connected claim. I get 10 percent for my left knee due to an injury while on active duty. 1 year after I was awarded SC I submitted for an increase due to having pain issue's in my knee. I was turned down at that time but the C&P doctor did say on my denial letter that I will have continue knee problems. so three years later and more pain I'm looking into doing a increase on my SC. I have asked for a consult for an Orthro Pedic because when I see the VA doctor here as an outpatient he always brings up why the military did not issue me a knee brace. The C&P doctor also said the same thing but you know the story with the VA. well anyway My question is should I wait until after I have my consult before I put in for a increase?

Oh by the way as I was reading my patient notes after my C&P I did notice that when you come in to check in to have a C&P exam the VA writes down how you were dressed, how you came to the VA, by car, bus, car pool, how you were walking, did you show any pain, if you were laughing, having a good time how you were sitting it was like they observe you prior to you having your C&P exam and all this gets entered into your patient notes and for some reason play a major role in the rating board.

some of you sound like you have everything peg'ed with a C&P hearing? Some of you give good advise and some of you give terrible advise? I have been through 5 of them and have always just been myself. Myself tells all. Just be yourself and don't try so hard to be different in any way!!! Worked for me!!! :)

Went for C&P exam for knee also. Examiner poked and prodded knee, asked if it hurt. Yes it hurt even tough I was on major pain meds. Next he twists leg to the point the knee gave a loud POP, asks me again if that hurt.....hell yes it hurt. Had to stay off leg for three days after exam. He wrote in C&P records (even though it shows in med records) that the damage done should have been healed and because I didn't go to doctors after the service it wasn't service connected. Never had the money to go to Doctors....couldn't afford insurance because I couldn't hold on to a steady job because of anger issues(SC'd), back injuries (SC'd), knee injuries (SC'd), tinnitus (SC'D) etc. Got claims going on now because of all the good people in the Florida VA system. Michigan sucked.