VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hypertensive Vascular Disease

Rate this question

Rhodesia

Question

Hello I have a rating for my HBP claim which the VA gave me 0 percent for service connected. it was a long fight to get this far say about 3 years. it has been more than a year now so what is the best approch to file for an increase for this condiction? I have been on medication for this condition since 2004 and received my rating in 2007. I noticed that the VA rating for 7101 Hypertensive Vascular Disease does not have a 0 percent listed this is what I was placed under for service connected. Thank for any help

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

In other words the decision was dated over a year ago so you cannot file a NOD?

If not you can re-open by sending them a letter with your C file number on it or use the 21-4138 form at the VA web site and tell them why your rating should be higher based on the medical evidence in your clinical record.

It would not hurt to explain to them exactly how you fit into a higher rating criteria and refer directly to your medical records and treatment dates etc.

A re-opened claim needs "new and material" evidence so make sure they know that since the date of their decision the clinical records will reveal how your SC has gotten worse.

Treatment records could include an increase in HBP meds and/or HBP readings that have been consistently high compared to past readings they used for the decision.

Rhodeisa,

Maybe we can help each other with this one. I plan to file for my recently diagnosed HBP. I waiting because I have a couple of things being rated for increases as we speak. Berta whom I nave great respect for is right I think what happened to you happened to me they lowballed you to see if you would be happy with service connection. I have learend from hadit you must due the work for them. The Code posted below look at your readings and submit and ask for the rating you feel that fits if your records fit its tougher for the to screw up cause its written.

Now don't get me wrong they can screw it up cause we are having this conversation the did it to the two of us. I say follow the instructions Berta gave you I plan to request 60% my readings are routinely 150/100 with medication and has been that way for some years and is documented in my records. Good luck keep us posted!

7101 Hypertensive vascular disease (hypertension and isolated systolic

hypertension):

Diastolic pressure predominantly 130 or more............................................................. 60

Diastolic pressure predominantly 120 or more............................................................. 40

Diastolic pressure predominantly 110 or more, or; systolic pressure

predominantly 200 or more............................................................................

....... 20

Diastolic pressure predominantly 100 or more, or; systolic pressure

predominantly 160 or more, or; minimum evaluation for an

individual with a history of diastolic pressure predominantly 100

or more who requires continuous medication for control......................................... 10

Note 1: Hypertension or isolated systolic hypertension must be confirmed by readings taken two or more times on at least three different days. For purposes of this section, the term hypertension means that the diastolic blood pressure is predominantly 90mm. or greater, and isolated systolic hypertension means that the systolic blood pressure is predominantly 160mm. or greater with a diastolic blood pressure of less than 90mm.

Note 2: Evaluate hypertension due to aortic insufficiency or hyperthyroidism, which is usually the isolated systolic type, as part of the condition causing it rather than by a separate evaluation.

Note 3: Evaluate hypertension separately from hypertensive heart disease and other types of heart disease.

Edited by kw34

Thank you the response back, here was my question to the VA which no one would or give me an answer to my question, in another words I was given the "Be A team Player Look".

For my Hypertension the VA gave me 0 percent instead of denying the claim this time, so my question is “if your on VA meds, how do they evaluate (measure) hypertension If you’re on VA meds to control HBP, how can the VA measure your disability?

Hello I have a rating for my HBP claim which the VA gave me 0 percent for service connected. it was a long fight to get this far say about 3 years. it has been more than a year now so what is the best approch to file for an increase for this condiction? I have been on medication for this condition since 2004 and received my rating in 2007. I noticed that the VA rating for 7101 Hypertensive Vascular Disease does not have a 0 percent listed this is what I was placed under for service connected. Thank for any help

I too just recently got rated at 0% for hypertension. They decided 0% based off of a single reading at a C&P, of which I had been on VA meds since 11/2008. I have filed a NOD, trying to get them to look at the readings that led the VA to medicate me in the first place. The real kicker is that the VA ignored my SMR since 1994 that clearly stated that I had hypertension. Kicker #2, I only have one kidney. Seems like I heard that the VA's standards for hypertension and the associated pressure readings have not been updated since 1946. I could be mistaken...

• HadIt.com Elder

Here is an idea.

Back several years ago when I was battling with the VA to service connect my HTN, They hit me with a lot of different responses. The one that made me the maddest was the one that said I was not treated, nor did I complain nor did I have a diagnosis in service.

After I got a copy of the SMR I was shocked to find out that I had out of 17 readings took in service that 14 were compensable with the disatolic all above 100.

That was my first successful cue.

Now what I did was to go to every Doctor I had seen since I was discharged and made a chart in MS Excel. This chart contained 96 readings and 90 percent were high. The highest being 200/140.

The Key is to show predominant or the majority of the readings in compensable range. But remember, even with meds the readings must be compenssable at at least 10 percent.

I hope this helps.

J