VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Stroke

Rate this question

bguerrero

Question

I'm retired from the USMC and also recieving 20% va hypertension/some skin problem. Will, two months ago I had a 2 TIA's which lead up to an acute stroke and since had 5 more TIA's. All in all I've been in and out of the hospital the past 8 weeks. Now thier saying I'm getting complex migraines so bad that my right side becomes weak like a stroke at it last up to 2 -3 hours at a time. Any idea's on the va ratings on this? And advice? I just started to get my medical records in order and will be visiting the San Diegq DAV office this week. I have recovered from the stroke but not 100%. I'm a Letter Carrier for USPS and so for un able to carry mail.

• Answers 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

The DAV should have given you this form to fill out and send to them-

VA will not consider TDIU until they rate you at 70%

but there is no reason not to apply for TDIU with any SC %.

The date of their receipt of the form will be the TDIU EED (100% rate) if they award,

On # 18 check Yes and apply for SSA disability benefits.

On # 25 Remarks-tell them you are attaching additional page and tell them any more info they need to consider for TDIU.

Give the DAV rep copy of the TDIU form that you are sending to the VARO.

If the DAV has any question on that- or insists you have to be 70%-

let me know-and they can contact me or vice versa-

The VA might low ball you and deny TDIU first time around- hard to know-

but by filing the form with them and responding to any denials with rebuttal-you are protecting the earliest effective date for TDIU by sending them this form.

TIAs can appear to have minimal damage- a full blown stroke can have numerous disabiling residuals.

My husband was 100% disabled by stroke.

The docs statement of 70 % recovery -with the migraines (most likely due to the HBP and CVA)

might make VA think 30% is enough-

"Hopefully the rating will include the migraine. I hope it all works out!"

I hope so too- did the DAV make sure the migraines were included in the claim.

"They think the stroke has cause me to have the complex migraine which to me is worst cause, with that, there's no way I could do my job!"

I hope a doctor has fully documented that point in your clinical records.

Tricare?

Thats right- I forgot- USMC retiree-

Any chance for CRDP here? If the rating goes higher?

TDIU_21_8940.pdf

Make sure you get the proper rating for the stroke. You should get 100 percent for six months THEN they rate the residuals with a minimum rating of 10 percent. Just make sure when you file the claim you ask for the 100 percent for six months ---- if not they might just forget that portion of it. If you do not mind could I ask what type of stroke you had and what area of the brain did it affect?

Make sure you get the proper rating for the stroke. You should get 100 percent for six months THEN they rate the residuals with a minimum rating of 10 percent. Just make sure when you file the claim you ask for the 100 percent for six months ---- if not they might just forget that portion of it. If you do not mind could I ask what type of stroke you had and what area of the brain did it affect?

I had an Ischemic Stroke, acute left lacunar infarct within the basal ganglia. And no, nothing was ask on the claim about 100 percent for six months! DAV handled the claim, so maybe. He didn't mention anything about that to me.

Lacuna is cavity of loss of brain cells found upon MRI of brain and basal ganglia is the deep grey matter (nerve cell areas). these types of stroke are common to uncontrolled HBP- exactly what my husband had- after many TIAs.

I had to prove his many ER trips prior to major CVA were TIAs.He had been misdiagnosed by the ER and they remained untreated causing residual problems.

I also had to prove his HBP had been mis managed and undermedicated by the VA-causing the Transcient Ischemias (TIAs)

It was the ECHO of his heart they did as well as the Brain MRI that helped me to prove he had many TIAs and undertreated HBP that caused his major CVA.

I assume they gave you a full ECHO test of your heart.?

Strokes begin in many cases due to occlusion of arteries due to a clot that can form in the heart.

Also atherosclerosis (a narrowing of the arteries due to cholestrol,abnormal tryglycerides and /or hyperlipedia or resulting from diabetes )

which can be determined by the ECHO percentages -can lead to stroke.

It is odd you said you felt 70% recovered.

But you also said you cannot perform your job.

Best to let a real doctor determine how recovered you are-so VA cannot low ball your rating.

Make sure the VA knows of all residuals you have-the numbness, any vision problems, the migraines, etc etc.

Lacuna is cavity of loss of brain cells found upon MRI of brain and basal ganglia is the deep grey matter (nerve cell areas). these types of stroke are common to uncontrolled HBP- exactly what my husband had- after many TIAs.

I had to prove his many ER trips prior to major CVA were TIAs.He had been misdiagnosed by the ER and they remained untreated causing residual problems.

I also had to prove his HBP had been mis managed and undermedicated by the VA-causing the Transcient Ischemias (TIAs)

It was the ECHO of his heart they did as well as the Brain MRI that helped me to prove he had many TIAs and undertreated HBP that caused his major CVA.

I assume they gave you a full ECHO test of your heart.?

Strokes begin in many cases due to occlusion of arteries due to a clot that can form in the heart.

Also atherosclerosis (a narrowing of the arteries due to cholestrol,abnormal tryglycerides and /or hyperlipedia or resulting from diabetes )

which can be determined by the ECHO percentages -can lead to stroke.

It is odd you said you felt 70% recovered.

But you also said you cannot perform your job.

Best to let a real doctor determine how recovered you are-so VA cannot low ball your rating.

Make sure the VA knows of all residuals you have-the numbness, any vision problems, the migraines, etc etc.

I had every test done Echo of the heart, MRI,Angiogram. I have no heart problems just atherosclerosis and high cholestrol. I having a hard time performing my job as Letter Carrier for the Post Office. The physical part of it seems to be wearing me out. Like today, had to go home sick due to a migraine. I only have a limited amount of sick leave left!