VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Car Accidents Can Lead To Post-traumatic Stress Disorder

Rate this question

allan

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Car Accidents Can Lead To Post-traumatic Stress Disorder

NEW YORK, Aug 23 (Reuters Health) --

People who are injured in car accidents often experience symptoms of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). In some cases these symptoms may persist for years or even decades after the collision, according to Wisconsin researchers.

In their report, published in the August issue of American Family Physician, the study authors note that more than 3.5 million people are injured in motor vehicle accidents in the US each year, and about 9% of traffic accident survivors develop "significant post-traumatic stress symptoms."

These symptoms include persistent thoughts about the accident, feelings of detachment from others, insomnia, irritability, and difficulty concentrating.

"Patients should be reassured that PTSD is a reaction to the stress of trauma, that it follows a predictable course and that is often resolves with timely intervention," report Dr. Dennis J. Butler, of the Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, and colleagues from the University of Wisconsin Medical School in Madison. Feeling shock, anger, nervousness, and guilt after a car accident are commonplace. In certain cases, such symptoms may evolve into PTSD, and this is more likely if the accident was particularly severe, involved fatalities, if an individual has a had a prior traumatic experience or an underlying psychiatric disorders.

In one particularly severe case, a 34-year-old man was still having headaches, insomnia, gastrointestinal problems and persistent worry 12 years after a car accident, according to the report. The man suffered a broken leg and jaw and was trapped in his van for more than an hour after striking a bridge abutment, during which he could smell gasoline.

After rehabilitation, he was able to return to work but "became nauseated by the smell of gasoline, refused to drive, was anxious in public and drank to calm his nerves," according to the report. He received a settlement of $17,000 six years after the accident, but suffered from the psychological effects for years, including obsessive showering and cleaning rituals, until a combination of psychotherapy and medication helped him become symptom free.

A combination of therapy and medication, such as antidepressants, can help patients with persistent symptoms, according to the Wisconsin researchers.

"Accident-related PTSD can have devastating effects on a patient's quality of life," they conclude. "The family physician has the opportunity to help prevent motor vehicle accident trauma by encouraging the use of safety belts and safe driving habits, and by counseling drivers about the risks of driving while tired or under the influence of medication, alcohol or other substances."

SOURCE: American Family Physician 1999;60:524-530.

4 answers to this question

This is actually an interesting article as I was involved in a traffic accident while on duty in the military.  I have recently started the process for filing a claim and am finding that the traffic accident has a lot of conditions attached to it.  PTSD, TBI, Migraine, Wrist and Arm injury, and possibly the connection of Sleep apnea as a secondary.  I was fortunate that I found the documentation about the accident and can show it was on duty.  Problem is that I did not report that incident on my ETS and have gone almost 20 years living with my issues.  I am optimistic and enjoy seeing anything that supports the connection of various issues to one traffic accident.  Just waiting on my complete medical records to get here in the next month to see what they actually have in the file that I can use to support these items in my claim.

Remember as long as you have evidence of a service injury, evidence of symptoms and continuing treatment, it is very possible to win a claim such as this, but you must have a doctor's nexus relating your current symptoms to your military injury event or disease.

Interesting article, at the very least.  Thanks for the post and reference.

I was actually shocked to find that report on the traffic accident in the electronic documents search through the ebenefits site.  I had never seen that paperwork and was never given a copy of it.  Finding that has just made me more aggressive in finding anything and everything else that can be used to connect and support the claim.

I definately have medical history since I have been out, I was frustrated to find out that I could not be seen by the VA until I actually have an approved claim.  So in the meantime I will continue to connect the dots.

I am fortunate that I have a good CVSO working with me and several friends that are going through the process or have been awarded benefits walking me through the collection of information.  I know it will be an uphill battle, and there will be setbacks.

On March 6, 2016 at 6:39 PM, Akapux said:

I was actually shocked to find that report on the traffic accident in the electronic documents search through the ebenefits site.  I had never seen that paperwork and was never given a copy of it.  Finding that has just made me more aggressive in finding anything and everything else that can be used to connect and support the claim.

I definately have medical history since I have been out, I was frustrated to find out that I could not be seen by the VA until I actually have an approved claim.  So in the meantime I will continue to connect the dots.

I am fortunate that I have a good CVSO working with me and several friends that are going through the process or have been awarded benefits walking me through the collection of information.  I know it will be an uphill battle, and there will be setbacks.

Don't be surprised if your copy of the C-file is not what you expected. I have caught Muskogee doing this multiple times already my claim. Even bigger yet is the difference between your file and the electronic access that VA gives to attorneys, not the same either.

I and many folks on here can attest to missing documents, especially the ones that help your case.

An example of mine had to do with a mental claim.  When I received my copy of my C-file I found a copy of a medical record and found the another copy of the same document, only it was missing the hand written docs notes on PTSD diagnosis and further mental examinations.

I also concur with the statements that after a car accident, or say a Tank or HMMV accident most folks still have a problem with shaking that off and getting back to riding the horses. Once they do some even have flashbacks or sudden anxiety when back in a vehicle or vehicle situation that reminds them of their traumatic event.

Edited by ArNG11
wording