VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Should I Be Receiving More?

Rate this question

Angelo Hurtado

Question

i was medically discharged for an ankle injury after i had a reconstruction surgery andit didnt work..i use a cane to LIVE and get around and have horrible back issues..i have spoke to a vso and he recommened waiting til after i get rated for my ptsd before i try for tdui.. I was not happy with the ratings i was giving for my disabilities but figured thats what i was stuck with...

The 2 major are:

left ankle sprain and tendinitis with status post surgical reconstruction and avulsion of the left great toe extensor...now i dont know what all this means but my ankle has me not able to stand/walk on my own and even with a cane and breaks thruout the day i cannot live a normal 25 year olds life and i was giving 10%...(this was the reason for discharge)

Second is my back..i have 2 different ratings on my back, one is cervical spine strain 20% and lumbosacral strain with anterior wedging of t11 and t12 vertebral bodies 10%..

On top of this i have right shoulder strain teninosis of the supraspinatus and bicep tendons and superior labral tear 20% which just happens to kill me everyday because its the arm i use my cane with. I feel helpless in tue situation until coming here, i thought i was stuck with what i got and that was it.

Ive been collecting unemployment because i didnt know i could collect ssdi. Between my injuries and sleep apnea/ptsd i just cannot hold a job/do anything ive been trained/ know how to do and so thats what led me here when i was searching for information on tdiu. Thank u guys for the help and suggestions, should i apply for ssdi now?

• Answers 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

thank u, i went by my va office today and requested all my medical records since ive been going to the va...2 week wait...than i'll be sending in for the ptsd/tdiu and a request for a raise in my other 2 problems...than over this time i'll be addressing the unemployment/ssdi situation

thank u, i went by my va office today and requested all my medical records since ive been going to the va...2 week wait...than i'll be sending in for the ptsd/tdiu and a request for a raise in my other 2 problems...than over this time i'll be addressing the unemployment/ssdi situation

2 wk wait? right....dont hold ur breathe on that, kiddo. i was told the same thing and had only a few months of records there. took them 4 months to simply print out the records. stay on top of them! if u dont get the records in 30 days, follow up.

Did you file a NOD on the last rating you got?

If I were you I would apply for TDIU and SSA disability benefits.

I'm not sure if the rules for Unemployment and SSD are different in other states but in California anyone can get BOTH Unemployment and SSD at same time. Their rationale for this is, just because you are getting SSD doesn't mean you aren't trying to get off it and work. Also, one is State and one is federal so they don't conflict with each other. I have been getting Unemployment AND SSD for over a year now because of all the extensions since CA unemployment is so high. Normally Unemployment is only 26 weeks. If in another state though I would confer with an SSD counsiler as far as any rule differrentiation.

Hope this helps,

Frank

And, don't "stop" your unemployment. But, definitely apply for SSDI, now. Let the "unemployment peeps" and the "ssdi peeps" "coordinate yer bennys". They've done it before, I assure you.