VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dic

red

Question

I have 100% p&t, close to 70 years old and have passed the 10 year mark. Could anyone tell me what I need to do now,just in case I pass away before my wife does, to make certain she get's DIC.

She has had numerous strokes and is incapacitated, would not be able to file. Should I have a special folder that instructions for someone on what to do if I die before my wife. If so, what should be placed in the folder. Any help would be appreciated.

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder
It is form 21-534 Red.

I commend you for thinking ahead like this.

Sharon is right -the wife might very well be able to get the A & A benefit if you die-in addition to her DIC.

If you pay bills on line -it is good idea to let someone have a list of your on line passwords for these bills and for any web sites you would want to know of your death.

Then again -you are still Young!

I think we have topic somewhere here on preparing for death.

A will usually involves getting a health care proxy too.

One thing you need to do now is get a DIC application form from V.A., an application for Social Security benefits from Social Security, a form from the County for requesting a copy of your death certificate. Also get an application for burial benefits from V.A. Obtain certified copies of your DD214s (military discharges). If you still have the originals these can be recorded at the county courthouse. I think these are used in support of the claim for the burial benefit and military honors at burial. Tell your survivors they will need a bunch of certified copies of your death certificate for V.A., Social Security, and your creditors. Try to pay off as many of your bills as you can before death to ease the burden on your survivors. Also consider prepaying your funeral for the same reason. Your surviving widow will have to prove she paid your burial costs to make sure if you prepay for your funeral that both of you are named on the receipt for the payment.

Edited by deltaj