VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Upcoming Traveling Bva Appeal

Rate this question

Cavtrooper088

Question

Hi Gang,

I sure could use some advice as I am still pretty new at this and, so far, have done everything on my own w/o help from any of the agencies like VFW/DAV with the exception of the great advice I have received from our forum. Here's my question.

I submitted my initial claim Feb 06, and was awarded 80% disability Apr 07 ( PTSD 70%, DMII 10%, Neck 10%, back 10%) I wrote back appealing the DMII as well as Neuropathy of both legs,tinninitus and hypertension. I won the following increases: DMII 20%, Tinninitus 10% and neuropathy 10% in both legs for a total of 90%. I lost the appeal on increases for the back and neck as well as the hypertension. Bottom line I am 90%.

Along the way I also filed for a review by the traveling BVA board which leads to my question.

I'm thinking of canceling the BVA appointment, and continuing to build my file for a battle further down the road. I think VA has been fair with most of my ratings. I am in pretty good health physically, and don't see any chance of increases that will get me to 100% secular due to VA math. Mentally I am pretty screwed up, but I am still surviving at work (for now) and want to keep working as it is kinda like therapy. I do believe that my days are numbered due to anger management problems, and eventually hope to file IU based on that issue.

I've also requested my C file as well as medical records from VA, but have not received them yet so I'm kinda the blind as to what they're reviewing.

So what are the consequences of me canceling my BVA appointment? I feel like I should cancel in order to clear up the slot for another vet who probably needs it worse right now.

Cavtrooper088.

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

They might go ahead and give you P&T if you make the BVA hearing.

Heck, what do you have to lose by going?

That's my opinion on it.

Frank

Hi Gang,

I sure could use some advice as I am still pretty new at this and, so far, have done everything on my own w/o help from any of the agencies like VFW/DAV with the exception of the great advice I have received from our forum. Here's my question.

I submitted my initial claim Feb 06, and was awarded 80% disability Apr 07 ( PTSD 70%, DMII 10%, Neck 10%, back 10%) I wrote back appealing the DMII as well as Neuropathy of both legs,tinninitus and hypertension. I won the following increases: DMII 20%, Tinninitus 10% and neuropathy 10% in both legs for a total of 90%. I lost the appeal on increases for the back and neck as well as the hypertension. Bottom line I am 90%.

Along the way I also filed for a review by the traveling BVA board which leads to my question.

I'm thinking of canceling the BVA appointment, and continuing to build my file for a battle further down the road. I think VA has been fair with most of my ratings. I am in pretty good health physically, and don't see any chance of increases that will get me to 100% secular due to VA math. Mentally I am pretty screwed up, but I am still surviving at work (for now) and want to keep working as it is kinda like therapy. I do believe that my days are numbered due to anger management problems, and eventually hope to file IU based on that issue.

I've also requested my C file as well as medical records from VA, but have not received them yet so I'm kinda the blind as to what they're reviewing.

So what are the consequences of me canceling my BVA appointment? I feel like I should cancel in order to clear up the slot for another vet who probably needs it worse right now.

Cavtrooper088.

With my limited experience, I can't find an answer

One of the more experience will need to give advice, this should go to the top o f list for the AM

great resource advisors

If it was me I would go ahead and go to the BVA hearing. You never know how they will rule so it may be to your advantage. If nothing has improved with your conditions then you won't be reduced from your current rating. I say go for it. If you can get a statement on paper from your employer that your anger managment is causing problems on the job, that would be a big help.

I commend you for considering that maybe another vet would benefit more then you to get into this hearing slot.

With 90% now and being employed- you would not have hard time in my opinion if you ever became unemployed and filed for TDIU.

Then again-diabetes can cause heart disease and also HBP -if there is atherosclerotic involvement of arteries directly due to the diabetes.This could lead to serious complications and even death.

But VA only SCs HBP as secondary to DMII with nephropathy present (disease of kidneys) or with a strong medical opinion that the DMII has caused the HBP -with a full medical rationale to include whether the veteran has diabetic cardiomyopathy or atherosclerosis from diabetes - both which can cause HBP but both which would need strong medical association.

The back and neck increases would need more evidence that they are directly due to your service-I assume that is why they denied.?

If you do have medical evidence of the HBP criteria I mentioned and more evidence of the back /neck as related to your service-it certainly would be good to get the proper rating but the % will not increase until you are technically unemployed and ask for TDIU.

BTW you did very well-when I saw they originally awarded you 10% for the DMII that made me angry-

they usually always award 20% and then more only if the DMII has caused complications.

Is the back/neck injury due to an inservice accident or event that you can prove?

These traveling BVA reviews take a lot of time waiting for them-

if you have the evidence of any or all of the stuff I mentioned above-I kind of think it is worth your time to keep that hearing slot.

Also something to consider is if you have a spouse or any young children.I think a vet should try to obtain a SC rating for anything in their lifetime that could eventually cause their death.We can never predict what a death certificate will state and even a 10% SC condition could be found as potentially contributory to death.

(Harris V Derwinski) vet died of heart desease (NCS) and had low SC hearing loss rating.

Widow proved the HL rating was way too low and his HL made him unable to work or due physical exercise, causing him to eat too much ,come sedentary, and develop heart disease-I am oversimplifying this detailed case and the VA ultimately granted her DIC as they determined the veteran's hearing loss (which also involved vertigo and serious balance problems) contributed to the heart disease which caused his death.

Were you awarded the DMII due to Agent Orange?