VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Exam...alcohol And Ocd Not Connected

Rate this question

Draggin'

Question

Hi all

I am applying for C&P. I have already been diagnosed with PTSD, major depression and alcohol dependance through my local VA outpatient psychiatry, with a GAF of 45. I went in for what I thought was a C&P exam for PTSD...only to have the examiner say it was for my sleep problems (nightmares, etc.). He did the full PTSD exam though (MMPI, etc). I guess this is necessary for sleep disorders??? He said that the PTSD info would be included on his report, even though this was not a scheduled C&P PTSD exam.

I just got my records and they say this...

Axis I - 1. PTSD (claimed sleep problems are considered part of this diagnosis)

2. Alcohol dependence

Axis II - OCD with some antisocial traits

Axis III - Multiple orthopedic problems, chronic pain, eye probelms, headaches, hearing loss, tinnitus, thyroid (all of these are in for claims/exams also)

Axis IV - Chronic health problems, marital discord

Axis V - GAF: 55-60

The MMPI-II test was interpretable although my f-scale t score was high at 83. He said I have PTSD, combat related as likely as not. But he said that the alcohol use and OCD were totally separate. That my PTSD only accounts for 30% of my new GAF.

Will they consider both GAF scores...and both diagnosis by the different psychiatrists? Each GAF score is recent. The alcohol use is DEFINATELY aggravated by the PTSD (can't sleep, need to escape). Is it possible that some of the OCD is related to the Army and the need to follow orders/direction precisely because it's a life or death situation. (I was a Cav Scout)

We're about to submit stressor letter (this Monday) and letters from my mother, wife, etc. Should my mother mention that I was not particular at all about things before I went to Iraq? The fact that I NEVER got into trouble and hardly drank before all of this was not taken into consideration also.

Just wondering what this all means and if there's anything else we can do over the next few days....or just wait for appeal time. We do have our VSO looking over the letters Monday as well. We're trying to get it all in ASAP before all of the other exams are done and results sent to VBA. Any ideas on percentage I could be expecting on the PTSD alone?

Thanks

Draggin'

• Answers 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

The PTSD claim was supposedly at the rating board...in the rater's hot little hand...sent to another place so that it could be rated faster (from Texas to another state), etc.

We have no idea what's going on.

Already gathering info for an appeal, ha ha. Including pictures, and some news stories my wife found on the internet.

Will post when we find something out about how they rate me and what is a secondary condition whenever we get our rating for the PTSD.

Until then, I'm posting all other questions in a different thread, to not confuse anyone.

Thanks

Draggin'

I see you asked earlier about having family members write statements also. This is what I did when I filed for mine and it seemed to help. Just follow their guidelines for statements. As for the 30 day determination, well that's never a guarenteed wait time. I waited almost 3 months for mine to get to the review board, but that's a whole other story. Keep on top of all of your paperwork and get those statements written up by family members and sumbit them. Have them talk about how things were good before you left, and the affects you had when you got home. Don't be shy or leave out any details. If you've had suicidal thoughts at all make sure they're stated. Congrats on your 50% award, but don't feel you have to settle if you believe it is worse. Drive on friend!

The PTSD claim was supposedly at the rating board...in the rater's hot little hand...sent to another place so that it could be rated faster (from Texas to another state), etc.

We have no idea what's going on.

Already gathering info for an appeal, ha ha. Including pictures, and some news stories my wife found on the internet.

Will post when we find something out about how they rate me and what is a secondary condition whenever we get our rating for the PTSD.

Until then, I'm posting all other questions in a different thread, to not confuse anyone.

Thanks

Draggin'

This may not be a bad thing.............I have been fighting with WACO for over 15 years.......I currently have a PTSD DX from my VA shrink and they have conceded my stressor but still continue to deny me a rating for PTSD....The WACO RO is known to be a hard one to get a fair rating at....Some do very well there but a lot have to continuiosly fight.....I hope and wish you all the luck and that you get the rating you deserve...And CONGRATS on the other ratings............GRID

No need for an appeal...

Evidentally the VA still needs my stressor information. Either they don't have it, never had it or lost it....not sure which. They have sent me a form asking for specific stressor related events (Statement in Support of Claim Form 21-4138). This makes me and wifey think they never received my stressor information, as we've already sent this in along with a short "stressor letter". The VA has also informed us that they did not have enough evidence to "seek assistance from the U.S. Army and Joint Services Records Research Center."

It's also possible that they had the stressor info, but it was not enough...but honestly, we have no idea what happened. Anyway, here's that post

Moving on...We are sending in a longer, more detailed letter concerning the stressor(s). (our former VSO had asked us to shorten the letter the first time...geez). We're also sending the new proof we've found which are copies of archived news stories that mention my name and troop specifically and the events that occured....which do match up perfectly with my stressor letter. More family letters and pictures. We're trying to make this as goof-proof and easy for them as possible.

Any ideas on additional info to send in? Should we try to get our records? Could someone point us in the right direction concerning getting the records ourselves? I'm sure that I can find it, but it's been an overwhelming experience.

Thank you in advance

Draggin'

PS...no more VSO for us-hasn't been for quite a while

Draggin VA don't have enough information to vertify your Inservice Stressor.If you don't have a Combat Infantryman Badge (cib) Purple Heart of any medal to prove that you was in combat with the enemy.You will have to prove to va that you was in combat, or you came under rocket or mortars attack,someone you know that got killed, during the time you was there and this traumatic event has to be the reason you have PTSD, you have to give va a date withthan a 30 day period either way that these stressor happen.Va will send this information to US Army Joints Services Records Research center and the research center will try to vertify your stressor and send back to the VA the information they found out.

mobie

Finally got it...about 45 days after we sent in a stressor(I tried to be specific, but could not really remember the dates), pictures, news articles, etc...they finally decided on my PTSD claim.

Even with the new rules the information we sent in was needed or helpful in getting them to get the records they needed on me.

We recieved 50% for PTSD and associated sleep disturbances...and I'm turning in more info for secondary conditions on a NOD/reconsideration.

Good Luck to you all

Draggin'