VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Supporting Documents

Rate this question

bigoc

Question

I have a question as to how a neuropsychological test would factor into a PTSD claim.  I will list some of the findings in the report to see what you guys think of it.

Also are TBI and PTSD one of the conditions that can not be rated separately?  I am currently rated 40% for TBI waiting for an increase decision to 70%.

Some of the report findings:

Pattern of responses that suggest higher-than-average psychological distress with a range of symptoms, including but not limited to experiences of bothersome, unwanted thoughts and behaviors (SCL-90-R OC: 99th%ile); dysphoric mood marked predominantly by pervasive unhappiness loss of motivation and/or apathy, and pessimism; manifest anxiety characterized by tension, nervousness and stressfulness. 

Final Diagnoses:

Dysthymic DisorderPost-Traumatic Stress Disorder (provisional)ConcussionPost-Concussion Syndrome

Sorry for the long description just wanted to put some meat to my question.  Also I am working and would see myself continuing to do so.  I do not expect more than 50%.  I do also have 6 months of VA counseling which I am going to continue.  I do not have anything in my SMR that relates specifically to PTSD.  Everything documented is post discharge(about 2 years).

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

did you have a documented stressor in service?

Frank

I have a question as to how a neuropsychological test would factor into a PTSD claim. I will list some of the findings in the report to see what you guys think of it.

Also are TBI and PTSD one of the conditions that can not be rated separately? I am currently rated 40% for TBI waiting for an increase decision to 70%.

Some of the report findings:

Pattern of responses that suggest higher-than-average psychological distress with a range of symptoms, including but not limited to experiences of bothersome, unwanted thoughts and behaviors (SCL-90-R OC: 99th%ile); dysphoric mood marked predominantly by pervasive unhappiness loss of motivation and/or apathy, and pessimism; manifest anxiety characterized by tension, nervousness and stressfulness.

Final Diagnoses:

Dysthymic DisorderPost-Traumatic Stress Disorder (provisional)ConcussionPost-Concussion Syndrome

Sorry for the long description just wanted to put some meat to my question. Also I am working and would see myself continuing to do so. I do not expect more than 50%. I do also have 6 months of VA counseling which I am going to continue. I do not have anything in my SMR that relates specifically to PTSD. Everything documented is post discharge(about 2 years).

I was deployed to Iraq and have been exposed to violent situations if that is what you mean.  Truck bombing, enemy fire and that sort of thing.  

I do not have any documentation specifically from service that I was exposed.  I do have it listed in exams after discharge from service, both civilian and VA TBI evaluations, references to IED exposure.  Complaint of being knocked to the ground from a truck bombing.  The only problem I am seeing is that it is post discharge.  The only symptom I can think of that is in my SMR is fatigue.

Thank you for the quick reply 

bigoc, since you don't have stressor documented in service you will probably need buddy statement confirming the stressor(s).

Do you keep in touch with anyone you served with that could attest to your claimed stressors?

The thing is you can tell your doctors about these all day to their face turns blue but this is all subjective in nature. While the

VA will always consider this they normally won't grant unless you have proof of the stressor(s).

Just trying to help,

Frank

I was deployed to Iraq and have been exposed to violent situations if that is what you mean. Truck bombing, enemy fire and that sort of thing.

I do not have any documentation specifically from service that I was exposed. I do have it listed in exams after discharge from service, both civilian and VA TBI evaluations, references to IED exposure. Complaint of being knocked to the ground from a truck bombing. The only problem I am seeing is that it is post discharge. The only symptom I can think of that is in my SMR is fatigue.

Thank you for the quick reply

I see what you mean.  I thought being deployed to a combat zone would be enough.  Honestly I do not have any contact with anyone from my unit.  Would statements from buddies, stateside be worth it.  After a particularly deadly truck bombing, I called home to talk with family and discussed(with security in mind) the situation.  I later elaborated on the incident when I returned home.  Would this type of statement be helpful in support.  

I also have a buddy that was in a different unit, same stateside base that I talked to a few days after the incident as well.  He was stateside at the time and did not witness the incident.  I know these are not first hand accounts but would they have any weight or am I spinning my wheels.  

Also, my base was on the receiving end of mortar attacks every night for 7 month.  Should I mention this as well and get the same kind of statements.  Again I am kinda stuck as far as witness statements go on first hand accounts.

Thanks for the advice.

bigoc, since you don't have stressor documented in service you will probably need buddy statement confirming the stressor(s). Do you keep in touch with anyone you served with that could attest to your claimed stressors? The thing is you can tell your doctors about these all day to their face turns blue but this is all subjective in nature. While the VA will always consider this they normally won't grant unless you have proof of the stressor(s). Just trying to help, Frank

• HadIt.com Elder

Do you combat action badge? That would verify your stressor. I thought that you guys in Iraq who don't have combat MOS, but are exposed to combat situations get the CAB instead of CIB.

Unless you have the CAB, PH or the CIB on your DD 214, the VA will have to send your stressor info to JSRRC (Joint Sevices Records Research Center) in order to validate the stressor.

The TBI should be rated separately from the PTSD.

TBI is physical trauma and PTSD is mental trauma.

However TBIs can cause numerous physical, behavioral and emotional changes.

The MMPI for combat related PTSD can assess the PTSD well but more neuro testing should be done to properly assess the TBI.

Sometimes I think I bring up my dead husband here too much-but his whole VA experience helped me to help others understand some of these types of claims.

He had brain trauma (damage from CVA) and PTSD.

VA gave him 6 or more psychological tests.

These tests ( it took 2 days of testing) assessed the amount and residuals of the brain damage due to his stroke and also found his PTSD to be catastrophic.

These test were used by SSA to award him for the CVA and then we questioned that and they awarded instead for PTSD with an earlier retro date.

A stroke is not a TBI of course but the VA has the means to properly assess TBIs and to separate TBI residuals from PTSD.

Did you get the actual TBI C & P exam or was this just the PTSD exam?