VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What's Your Opinion Of This Imo

Rate this question

blackbird

Question

Please read this IMO and let me know what you think,

Thanks, Blackbird

To Whom it May Concern:

Mr.XXXXXXXXX is now 51 yrs old. I have been seeing him since 1996. At that time, he came to me with a foraminal disc at L4-L5, had a foraminal diskectomy done, and had continued degeneration of the 4-5 disc and subsequently underwent a 4-5 fusion. Relevant to this, I have reviewed XXXXX's SMR'S. He notes that when on deployment in Egypt from Oct to Nov 95 he was pulling on a heavy parts box from a stack of boxes and had a sharp pain in his back radiating down his left leg into his left foot. This is the exact distribution of discomfort for which I operated on him subsequently in 1996. It is more than likely the pathology for which I operated on he incurred in the lifting incident when he was deployed in Egypt. Theresore, it is more than likely related to his military service. He has intractable leg pain as a result of injury to the dorsal root ganglia and it was the ultimate cause of him requiring a fusion at L4-L5. He has had subsequent disc herniations most recently at L2-L3 but he has also had disc disease in the cervical spine rrequiring 5 additional fusions.

There is no question in my mind that there is a direct causal relationship between the injury sustained in Egypt and the necessity he had for an L4-L5 diskectomy and subsequent L4-L5 fusion.

Please address any questions to me, Dr. XXXXXXXXX

• Answers 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

• HadIt.com Elder
-My exit exam notes that I had recently had back surgery and listed my limitation. Also on the

exam summary it states that the back pain radiating into my leg started in Nov 1995, part

of which I was still deployed..

I'm gonna help you grab for a straw here. Locate, scan and post your exit exam here so we can see the exact wording used by the physician. If you can't scan it, please type it, word for word, in this thread. After you have that, find any written proof you have showing you were on active duty for training during this time period.

I'm gonna help you grab for a straw here. Locate, scan and post your exit exam here so we can see the exact wording used by the physician. If you can't scan it, please type it, word for word, in this thread. After you have that, find any written proof you have showing you were on active duty for training during this time period.

post-5909-1248372078_thumb.jpgpost-5909-1248372146_thumb.jpgpost-5909-1248372259_thumb.jpgpost-5909-1248372294_thumb.jpgpost-5909-1248372330_thumb.jpgpost-5909-1248372365_thumb.jpg

rental,

Good - then we can play the dot to dot game a bit more efficiently.

carlie

Carlie,

I've posted above your last the info (I think) that rentalguy1 asked for. If you need anything else, please let me know.

Thanks

Blackbird

• HadIt.com Elder

Well, if you had been a regular Air Force airman, then this would be a slam-dunk. We are still in the same exact position, though. Your point credit summary proves you were on active duty for training at the time of the injury, and your exit physical says exactly what it needs to say. We're still missing that most important link, though. The best advice I have is to gather all the medical evidence you can for the back injury/surgery/treatment, and run it up the flag pole and see what happens. You may get lucky and have a experienced rater look at your claim. What RO do you use?

Well, if you had been a regular Air Force airman, then this would be a slam-dunk. We are still in the same exact position, though. Your point credit summary proves you were on active duty for training at the time of the injury, and your exit physical says exactly what it needs to say. We're still missing that most important link, though. The best advice I have is to gather all the medical evidence you can for the back injury/surgery/treatment, and run it up the flag pole and see what happens. You may get lucky and have a experienced rater look at your claim. What RO do you use?

Hey Rentalguy1,

I used the Winston Salem, NC RO.

Blackbird

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use