VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What To Do Next

Rate this question

sgmdae

Question

I have plenty of needed Information for PTSD to submit, on the other problems is coming in very slow. Do I submitt for review the information to be rated for PTSD, and submit the other information later. What is the best advice!!??

Edited by sgmdae

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Claim status = I got a call from a person working/developing my claim. He was a wealth of info, but I would never have known how to find that person if they didn't call me first.

Next best source was the IRIS system.

The 800 number = always friendly, never helpful.

Eric

• HadIt.com Elder

Just be sure you get a VCAA letter for all the conditions your are claiming. No VCAA letter means something is wrong. SMR's, buddy statements, Dr. reports, personnel records to prove stressors (medals like CIB, Ph, medals with V device) this is what you need to send them. Remember there are three legs to a clalim. In service injury or illness, current disability and a nexus between the two. With PTSD it is different but you still have to show current disability and verifiable stressor and the nexus. If you have PTSD you don't want the VA to be able to come up with alternative explanations for it. Many cops have a hard time with in-service stressors because they had a career of stressful and life threatening events after service. Who is to say why they have PTSD? You need a doctor to rule out the alternatives. However, if you have a current diagnosis of PTSD, and you have the combat awards I think you will get a rating. It takes time and effort. IMO's are the most important aspect in my opinion.

• HadIt.com Elder
Just be sure you get a VCAA letter for all the conditions your are claiming. No VCAA letter means something is wrong. SMR's, buddy statements, Dr. reports, personnel records to prove stressors (medals like CIB, Ph, medals with V device) this is what you need to send them. Remember there are three legs to a clalim. In service injury or illness, current disability and a nexus between the two. With PTSD it is different but you still have to show current disability and verifiable stressor and the nexus. If you have PTSD you don't want the VA to be able to come up with alternative explanations for it. Many cops have a hard time with in-service stressors because they had a career of stressful and life threatening events after service. Who is to say why they have PTSD? You need a doctor to rule out the alternatives. However, if you have a current diagnosis of PTSD, and you have the combat awards I think you will get a rating. It takes time and effort. IMO's are the most important aspect in my opinion.

....or aggravation of a pre-existing injury or illness.......

• HadIt.com Elder

Larry

That's right, aggravation of a pre-exiting condition which you have to prove as well. You have the pre-existing condition, and the VA will swear on a stack of bibles that nothing you did in the service aggravated it. How many claims here are denied because some kid hurt his knee at football practice and the VA claims that his hospitalization in service was due to the old football injury, and not the fall from a watch tower.

• HadIt.com Elder
Larry

That's right, aggravation of a pre-exiting condition which you have to prove as well. You have the pre-existing condition, and the VA will swear on a stack of bibles that nothing you did in the service aggravated it. How many claims here are denied because some kid hurt his knee at football practice and the VA claims that his hospitalization in service was due to the old football injury, and not the fall from a watch tower.

GEE, John! I didn't realize that you were so cognizant of MY very claim! Seriously, if only you knew how closely you just described my initial SC'd injury/disability you'd get the heeby-jeebys.

You're spookin' me, dude!

'cept it was my ankle, not my knee, but, you did get the watchtower part correct.