VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Texas House Bill No 3613

• HadIt.com Elder

In Texas, the veterans had to work hard to get and then to keep the state benefits. Texas DV, Purple heart, POW and other specialty veteran auto tags cost around $3.00 a year. City parking for disabled vets is free in most city owned parking meters and lots, I especially appreciate the free Airport parking at many city owned airport parking lots. I don't know if this is state wide. Over the years, every so often, the law makers try to take away some of the gains. Texas vets have had to stay vigilant and patient to retain some of the state benefits.. TX disabled vets recent real estate tax relief came in the form of a state constitutional amendment. Florida has a very good disabled veterans tax code, also... Other vets from less appreciative states, should approach your local state law makers, with copies of FLA. & Texas disabled vets real estate laws. Move them to pass similar laws in you states. Now, during a time of war, is the window open for such successes. When the fighting is over, we will be put on the back burner, once again.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Texas has always been a Vet friendly State. When the Amendment came up 91% of the Texans voted yes. Carlie posts a link of all the States and I think I saw today that SC offers no property taxes for Homestead Veterans.

Good Luck there is a lot to be said for the friends and relationships that you have where you are.

• HadIt.com Elder
Texas has always been a Vet friendly State. When the Amendment came up 91% of the Texans voted yes.

Yes Pete53, Texas is a vet friendly state. My comments regarding veterans vigilance comes from many years of dealing with local and state government. I am remembering in the 1990's when the State took away the parking privileges for DV vets. We, the veterans and other friends had to pressure the law makers in Austin to reestablish the DV parking laws. I could go on and on about dealing with a mostly civilian gov. body. I was active in the 1970's 80's and half of the 90's. Maybe things have really changed since I faded away. So many changes have happened in the last ten years. Changes that were only a dream for many of us old soldiers. I am grateful for the changes, though many were decades in the making. Like this new real estate law. Even with an overwhelming vote of yes on the ballot, some in Austin were trying to stall the bill because of the wording of the amendment..

Edited by Commander Bob 92-93

• 3 months later...

I have 2 friends who got registered letters from their Texas appraisal district last week to notify them that because they were not 100% all year, they are not eligible for the new 100% Texas property tax exemption on 2009 taxes. One made it to 100% in January 2009 and the other in August. Both are scrambling to find the money to pay now, before they get hit with penalties. Is that the way the partial exemptions work? You have to be at a percentage for all year to get the exemption for that percentage?

• HadIt.com Elder
I have 2 friends who got registered letters from their Texas appraisal district last week to notify them that because they were not 100% all year, they are not eligible for the new 100% Texas property tax exemption on 2009 taxes. One made it to 100% in January 2009 and the other in August. Both are scrambling to find the money to pay now, before they get hit with penalties. Is that the way the partial exemptions work? You have to be at a percentage for all year to get the exemption for that percentage?

That's BS.

Get your letter from the VA stating that you are 100%, and the date.

The Texas legislature made it retroactive TO JAN 1st, 2009.

I know, I had the same problem. Finally told the gal at the appraisal office that I wasn't leaving until I got to speak with her boss.

Instead of calling her boss, she got on the 'phone to the security/sheriff dude and he showed up gettin ready to throw me out.............until I showed him my paperwork........................nice to have a Marine as sheriff dude.

Semper Fi!

• HadIt.com Elder

Larry is correct all you had to be was 100% on the date the Law made it affective last summer. I know that the January guy is home free. If I were to give advice it would be to get someone to help your Veteran.

The January 1 thing is the so called assessment date bt there are plenty of exceptions.

Some little cretin at the tax office is mad and trying to screw these Veterans