VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Batavia Ny Ptsd Clinic

Rate this question

JustPLS

Question

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about the VA's PTSD clinic at Batavia, NY? I am being referred there for a 26 day program, and would like to have your thoughts - good, bad, or indifferent. Thanks,

Pat

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I see others with this problem and am one with it myself.

I am going as well soon to NY and will find out tomarrow of when that will be. I am just hopeing that the end results is a better understanding of the dreams and feelings that come with it all. It wouldnt be so bad if I was able to shake them off like I use too do. But it has taken a toll and it is beyound my own self help tricks. So if I am their when any of you are I am saying my Hellos now. I only hope this place helps, If not for me atleast it will for you. Thats if I can remember. lol.. this memorie thing bites.

Thanks for the response, funk. I have similar concerns, but, believe it or not, I was told it was mostly geared to newer Vets. I also was told that they had women participants. My guess is that it just depends on when you go what the mix turns out to be. I suppose the way to look at it is that PTSD is PTSD no matter your age or sex. We can all use some help from time to time.

My reluctance about the whole thing is like yours....I am not into "touchy-feely" group things. I'm not used to sharing the things that I think about. Of course, I have never had any group therapy, either. It might do me some good.

Pat

i have been to the batavia ptsd progam. it was 4 years ago, and i was pregnant. it was rough on me and i got out of the program early b/c my son quit moving in my womb. now that it's been 4 years, i can say that it was a good and bad experience. Good - it made me face what i had been thru and had never really talked about it with anyone before. the ladies i was in with and the women who took care of us in the home and those who led the groups and classes made it easy for me to share. i knew we were all there for basically the same thing. i had no shame in finally voicing some of what i had been thru. that said, Bad - although i had finally opened up to my trauma, i do not know how to shut it off or how to continue on in life and have what i learned make a difference. I must say that i am being forced back into the 8 week program, and am quite scared. i have heard that they revamped the program so that it enables you to address the issue, and also now to find a way past it. i hope your experience goes well, but it all boils down to what you are willing to put into the program. if you don't participate and be true to yourself, you will get nothing from the program. if you open up and drop your guard a bit while you're there, you could get immense help. and for the record, i'm not quite 30 yet, but i was the youngest in my group. it is geared for you, no matter your age. they take your personality and personal quirks into consideration, especially in the one on one sessions.