VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hacked Off!

Rate this question

clw4514

Question

had the 3rd and final appt today for ptsd eval. told her i mailed off my claim last friday for ptsd and she told me "dont be upset if they reject it. on ur final mhc appt, they sd u had adjustment disorder." im furious!!! first, im diagnosed ptsd after the mst, then 1.5 yrs later after absolutely no treatment, they say i have adjustment disorder??? u know, im starting to think i should have just drudged on being bat shit crazy! the more i get into this claim business, the more hacked off i get! she did also tell me that she has my file marked ptsd so that should help and she would do what she could for me. and she wants me to do CPT or something like that on top of the ptsd group and individual i already go to. isnt that a bit overkill? or is this really necessary? im on the verge of an anxiety attack from all this. i get 2 steps ahead and get drug 10 steps back.

just had to vent for a minute....now im gonna go cry!!!

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

"isnt that a bit overkill? or is this really necessary? im on the verge of an anxiety attack from all this. i get 2 steps ahead and get drug 10 steps back.

just had to vent for a minute....now im gonna go cry!!! "

Stop.

Read what you just wrote and THEN reflect if you think that her suggestions are "overkill".

hmmmmm?

Could she possibly have your best interests at heart, and want to see you get all the help that you can?

no, larry, i know she has my best interest at heart. she is just trying to give me a heads up on what to expect. i guess in an effort to minimize the impact if/when it does happen. im not angry with her. im angry with the process. she sd it was pretty standard to reject the initial claim. its frustrating that we have to fight so hard for the help we need.

clw,

As long as they SC your mental health disability try not to

pay too much attention to what label they put on it.

Here's a link to the schedule for ratings.

The goal is to recieve compensation for injury, illness or disease

as a result of active duty service.

Compensation for mental health disabilities is paid under many different

names of a disability.

Hang in there and don't allow any of them to push your buttons.

Also, many times on exams they will say things that may not be exactly so,

just to get a reaction and see how you respond.

Example:

Doc's checking you for ROM like to drop their pen just to see if and how

you bend over to pick it up.

carlie

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-....73&idno=38

Edited by carlie
sp

I just file my PTSD packet with my VSO, I am not impressed with him

I was talking to him about another claim, telling dates and particulars

He said PTSD, is lost of memory, you are giving percise dates and years

Piss me off, I can't remeber a full year in Vietnam, out of 19 months, and he wants to tell my memory is too good. When I good to some old stuff, I found awards that I didn't remember getting, some much forgot

Just send in an amendment to your claim asking for adjustment disorder, anixiety disorder, bipolar disorder, major depressive disorder and PTSD. They will have to address each one. I tell my veterans to always apply for the big five. The will deny the ones you don't have and address the one that you do. Good Luck.

I guess I really lucked out with P-docs, because they didn't ask me if I felt I was Bi-polar, they told me I was. Then they told me to apply for disability, and to expect a fight, but not give up. So I applied for 10%, was denied, and was told to reapply for higher, which was granted at the original 10% request. Which was fine, until my condition started decompensating seven years later. At which time, I had to apply for an increase, and then again another increase, and I am waiting on an appeal now for a higher rating.

However, I also got hacked off, when those same p-docs told me I had PTSD also. I told them I didn't have it, and they told me denial was a big indicator that I did. But they did say that since there was no activating event, it wouldn't be worth trying to apply for SC. Any PTSD I may have is of a nature that is the result of my training and job assignments, and I know I am not alone in this. So they wanted to treat me for PTSD, but not service-connected. A couple of months ago, my primary care physician asked me if I wanted PTSD treatment, and said it must be in my record somewhere for the system to prompt him to ask me. Maybe I should have said yes, but it is my feeling that other veterans returning from the Mid-East need it more than I do. At least, I have lived with it for years now.

But seeing Sharon's post, makes me feel like I might have shot myself in the foot. C'est la vie, c'est la guerre, c'est la legion etrangere.