VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Special Consideration

Rate this question

bigoc

Question

I have found information on disable veterans being able to apply to federal jobs after the application process has already closed or to get a non-competitive appointment.

Anyone have any experience or information on this?

I understand the the point system advantage, this is something completely different. 

• Answers 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I was recently rated at 30% and would like to go back to school using Voc Rehab to get a college degree to eventually be employed by the Federal Government. I already have a AA degree, but realize i will need to get a bachelors degree to make more money. Was originally considering a Business degree; as it is faster; but now i am looking into a construction management. Does the type of bachelors degree matter?

Chris111,

Do you know where in the federal service you would like to work? I do not think the feds do much construction work, as they contract it out. The reason that I'm asking about where, is that you may want to tailor your degree to that area of the government. You may want to make sure that you have at least 24 hours of business credit with your construction management degree, that way you can get into the government overseeing the contractor's work as a Project Manager or a Contract Manager.

Papa

• HadIt.com Elder

Unless its a specialty any degree helps.After your work a few years your work experience is the most important.

Good Luck I think that you have a good plan.

What part of the country are you in? You want to try and get in a upward training program, you would start off as say a GS5 or 7 and reach a guarnteed 11 or 12. After that you would compete for the next grade. It does not hurt to know someone in civil service. Also, make sure you take every advantage that your Veteran status gives you, you have earned it.

Papa

• HadIt.com Elder

Federal jobs are not easy to get even for disabled vets. I worked for the VA and the post office. I found mobility inside these organizations depended more on who you know rather than what you know. I was offered a job as a AFT agent, but did not want to chase moonshiners and gun runners in Kentucky. Most openings you see posted are already filled by insiders. The feds put a person in a job that is vacant and then when the official opening comes up then they put the "most qualified" person in the job. The most qualified person is the guy or girl who has been doing it for a year already. Get a degree in something real like accounting or pharmacy and you can work lots of places. Really, the feds are awful. Nepotism is rampant and the good old boy network rules the roost. I worked for them because I needed a job with good insurance.

John999

You mean you did not want to chase my family around the hills of Kentucky. :D

Papa