VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Special Consideration

Rate this question

bigoc

Question

I have found information on disable veterans being able to apply to federal jobs after the application process has already closed or to get a non-competitive appointment.

Anyone have any experience or information on this?

I understand the the point system advantage, this is something completely different. 

• Answers 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

While it may be true that it helps to know someone in the government, it is the same way outside the government. Being a Veteran did not help me get a government job, truthly, it probably hindered it. I got my job under the handicap program. I had to start at the GS-4 level, but now I'm a GS-12. I had a lot more rejections for promotions then promotions, but you just got to work hard and be mobile, I was not.

Papa

I have seent he VRA appointment stipulation on many postings on USA JOBS. However the question is how do you get an appointment letter?

Matt,

I believe that you can get a letter from the VA, but your rating letter might be sufficient. Also, you will need to complete a form 15. I think it is a SF 15.

Papa

Papa,

thank you very much. I applied for a VA job about 7 months ago. It was a great position and nobody applied to it as I was in contact with the recruiter up until the closing date and nobody except me had applied for the 2 positions. Low and behold, 2 GS employees got the job, as I called 2 weeks after the closing. i was pissed. I had everything in order including the sf15. but I guess the GS system is indeed a "good ole boy netwaork." thansk for the info....

Matt

Matt,

I believe that you can get a letter from the VA, but your rating letter might be sufficient. Also, you will need to complete a form 15. I think it is a SF 15.

Papa

the veterans preference is only a consideration and not a guarantee of hiring. the job can be filled from many different sources as noted in the vacancy announcement.

i am a disabled vet and work for the federal government,my veterans preference has never helped me in any way. if i put in for a job in another area,veterans preference gets me nothing. they always use the addage that the best qualified filled the position. if there was a reduction in force,then i would see veterans preference.

that is my only form of retaliation for a flawed system...watching the non veterans go out the door.