VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Special Consideration

Rate this question

bigoc

Question

I have found information on disable veterans being able to apply to federal jobs after the application process has already closed or to get a non-competitive appointment.

Anyone have any experience or information on this?

I understand the the point system advantage, this is something completely different. 

• Answers 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Matt,

What is your educational level? Degree? In what? What did you do in the service? Are you mobile? Do you check out the www.opm.gov web-site? From there you get to the USAJOBs and look for jobs across the country. You will need to set-up an account and post your resume. When you find something that you want to apply for, but do not think you gualify for, apply anyways. Let them tell you that you do not qualify. Good Luck.

Papa

Whelp i am just trying to get my foot int he door. i do not know anybody within the GS system or anybody working for the govt for that matter.

I am proof you do not need to know anybody in the Government employment to get a goverment job.

I concur my military service is irrelevant unless you are being interviewed by a colonel and you were in the Army. Just natural human preference for similar backgrounds. Not a thing to do with any silly pointless point system. That is pure public relations.

My experience and advise is get an undergraduate degree in anything, be willing to move to wherever the job is, apply for anything you remotely qualify for. Back when there was a publication they sold that listed the jobs (still in publication) and overseas plus I guess now the jobs USA. But if you combine those three elements you will get a government job.

1. Education

2. Willing to move

3. Apply

Apply-Apply-Apply

That is the equation, there is no secret recipe. If you think the VA is going to do something for you in this regard you will be waiting a very long time. That is my experience.

Edited by cannoncocker

I could not have said it better.

Papa

Hey there papa. I just said the same thing you've been saying. I just thought another voice would help convince anyone that believes the VA PR machine.

As I recall you started as a GS-4 and are now a GS-12. That sir is an accomplishment! They don't hand out 12's on the street corner. I guess SES would be next. They have to come from someplace right.