VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Special Consideration

Rate this question

bigoc

Question

I have found information on disable veterans being able to apply to federal jobs after the application process has already closed or to get a non-competitive appointment.

Anyone have any experience or information on this?

I understand the the point system advantage, this is something completely different. 

• Answers 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I got disgusted and went and got a job at the post office. They do hire disabled vets. Once you are in they start trying to fire you if your disability hurts their production numbers. I could not get hired beyond a GS-5 until I got the postal job where I got a 50% pay raise right off the bat. I never did so little for so much. They used to give me 2 hours of over time every night. The shift that gave the O.T. would leave, and I would go sit in the break room for about 40 minutes and then go out to the work floor and work in slow motion. My first year I think I worked 10-12 hours every day. Due to union rules I got paid extra for doing night work, and extra for working Sunday. I had it worked out that I got 40 hours of night pay and double Sunday pay. Then my feet started breaking down after a few years. Every big boss had his girlfriend working there plus his wife and kids. Half the people at my post office were related. They got all the best qualified jobs. The vets without connections got the grunt work. If my damn feet had not worn out and I had not torn my rotator cuff I would be there still. The last five years I was in miserable pain.

Then the USPS started to tighten the screws on me. I went out on workers compensation and never went back. They treated me like a dog when I started to break down physically. It was all job related and that really got them mad because I claimed my workers compensation benefits.

John,

You got further then I did at the Post Office. I took a written test and scored very high, and thought that I would get a job. Nope. I got a call from the Post Office telling me that I would need to retake the test. Two women had complained that they could not understand the test monitor. He did have a very heavy Spainish accent, but if you are flapping you gums while he is giving out instructions, he could be speaking Russian. I told them to stick the test where the sun doesn't shine. I understood the guy, but they were going to make over 100 people retest because of these two b...

I actually got my federal job through the Texas Rehab Commission. The points never got me anywhere. I almost forgot, but I did work at the VA hospital in the XRay file room as a colloege work study. I worked about 2 hours a day, and the money sure came in handy with 3 small kids. After one semster I was told not to return as I was out producing 3 other guys working 8 hours per day. I don't know about an SES, but I do know that retirement is right around the corner.

Papa

SES= Senior Executive Service=You have to be politically connected.

I have gotten every job I have ever tried to get with the exception of the post office. I must be defecient somehow/somewhere but I took the test and It has been so long ago but all I can say is I didn't even get close. I went to one interview as a front desk clerk in some back water joint and never heard back on that. Probably a nepotism deal. now i think about it I was in germany after I got out before I got my Supply Technician GS-7. I applied for a job with the USO (who woulda thunk that), but the woman that interviewed me couldn't get past my East Texas accent, which to her meant thick like ze brick, her supervisor told her in front of me that she was getting that issue confused, but afterwards he told me that he held her responsible so it was her call. Weird how things work out since I was infinetly better off as a GS-7 Supply tech. in Frankfurt 2 weeks latter, this being berfore the draw down. Nothing but good times.

My military service influenced none of the above. I still don't know why I couldn't make the cut at the P.O., but that just wasn't meant to be. It wasn't my life's ambition but I did try some but they had no use for me. I have heard from friends very similar stories to yours John. This one guy retired from the Navy then he was on the night shift for the first year and swore it almost killed him. But as things turned out, he retired from there too, married some lady, got divorced in six months and ended up living in a single wide, on a rented lot. After retiring twice. Go figure that out.

Edited by cannoncocker

• HadIt.com Elder

I took a course in memory techniques for the P.O. Also, I was a ten point vet. If you passed the test in Florida and were a 10 point vet you got hired for something. I was hired as a clerk. It was just labor, but I had to learn a memory route to throw letters to the right carrier. I had 1200 memory items to learn in 6 weeks. If you could not pass the test on this memory thing you got fired. The USPS is like the Army on LSD. The place is run by the worst employees who can't do their jobs, so they get promoted to supervisors.

I took a course in memory techniques for the P.O. Also, I was a ten point vet. If you passed the test in Florida and were a 10 point vet you got hired for something. I was hired as a clerk. It was just labor, but I had to learn a memory route to throw letters to the right carrier. I had 1200 memory items to learn in 6 weeks. If you could not pass the test on this memory thing you got fired. The USPS is like the Army on LSD. The place is run by the worst employees who can't do their jobs, so they get promoted to supervisors.

John,

I spent over 30 years in the PO and it was a decent job back in the early 70's. Now it reminds me of the VA, all f----- up.

Bill

"the Army on LSD" you better stop telling your generation! To tell you how thick i am i got some book at the library abut taking the po test and went over it but it sounds like I would have never made it anyway so it saved us all time and achy breaky heart that they didn't let me in the door. i can also say that junk about rain/sleet dark of night may have been true at some point in history, say pony express but they didn't deliver my mail one day and I called and they said well of course they aren't going to deliver your mail in the dark. Yep there's a part 2 to this. Another instance they delivered my VA meds on top of some random mailbox. well 10pm rolls around and i see a spot light hit the house, then comes my name comeout! some thick neck cop wanted to know if these drugs were mine, being blood pressure and thyroid stuff. that was fun for all. they just got tired and put the bag on a box and called it a day. I went to the post master re that incident. Bottom line, go tell your mother, she might care cause I sure don't.

How could that place pay so well and be so horride to work at then get defended for absolutely unacceptable performance. Somebody done been hitting the, what'd they call the clear LSD chips, crystal or something? anyway something is clearly wrong with that joint and we should rename this thread stay away from the PO and if you can use vet points, don't use them there.