VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd And Sleep Apnea

Rate this question

sgmdae

Question

What do we know about this situation

Is is related, can it be a secondary, a machine is probably needed

I believe there information out there-

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Sleep apnea is associated with Obesity or obstruction of the throat that causes you to have breathing lapses.

I dont see a connection to PTSD.

Use of a CPAP is imparative. One thing is for sure. If you have OSA and do not treat it it will cause you to have pulmonary HTN, It will give you dangerous cardiac arrythmias and it will kill you.

I typed in PTSD and sleep apena in the Haddit search button and had a couple of hits on a connection between the two.

Cav

I strongly believe there is a connection betweem SA and PTSD. I believe PTSD is a major cause of my developing a terrible addiction to food. Years ago it was Rot Gut and weed, but could not go down that road. Food became my crutch. Before the military, I was normal body wise, but shortly after Vietnam, I started eating and eating and eating. I even joined Overeaters, which did help for awhile. I developed Diabetes and cronic obstructive sleep apnea. They had to set my capa at 16. I had the Lap Band surgery and it probably saved my life, it cleared up my Disbetes (I need to be retested) and my SA cpap went down to 9 or 10. But, the one thing that it did not cure was my eating, it will physically limit my food intake, but I still put the food down until I throw up. To me that is where the connection lies.

Papa

What do we know about this situation

Is is related, can it be a secondary, a machine is probably needed

I believe there information out there-

I, also, have the same question. My VA psychiatrist has scheduled a sleep study for me. The appointment for this overnight study was initially scheduled about a month ago - but I cancelled and said I was unable to make it due to illness. The office where I am to take this study called yesterday and rescheduled for today (7:30pm - in about 12 hours from now). This is triggering so many anxieties...thinking about being somewhere else other than in my own home-bedroom-bed where I still am trying to talk myself into believing it's safe. Do you know what I mean? It's hard enough having to deal with my day to day anxieties. I was diagnosed with PTSD, MST in 2003 and have had continuous treatments/medications to try to help me overcome my anxieties. These anxieties interfer with my daily activities. Isolation has helped me control my anxieties...I know it's wrong...but I can't help it. It hurts!!!!!! I'm scared and I don't know how to use the skills taught to me from the National Center for PTSD for this particular situation. I sit here in tears (I hardly slept last night and just cried over this...this). It (the memories) hurts so bad!!!!!!!!! I know that I can take this as a challenge and just apply the skills to make this all work out. But the pain I'm experiencing is becoming unbearable. Help!!!! And the clock keeps ticking away. So that's why I'm here...asking anybody out there is this sleep study really necessary