VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Gaf , From 40 To 35, What Is This And Whats It Represent?

Rate this question

mrkman12

Question

Seeing pysch. doc every week at the ptsd clinic in sa, lowered gaf score from 40 to 35, due to severe levels of depression, commorbid w/severe chronic ptsd. Am still waiting on an DRO interview, almost 18 months now. Have been seeing haha since 2007, and am not quite sure where all this is going....pls advise....hamster on a wheel.....

• Answers 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

It is ALWAYS the claimant's responsibility to ensure copies of everything get to VA

and that is the bottom line.

Vet Centers do not order exams - decision makers (raters) order exams

and they don't HAVE to order an exam because a Vet Center requests one.

carlie

Yes maam,

I understand this and in 2007, 2008, 2009 all evidence has been sent to the varo at houston since reopening the claim from 1992. I have a stack of VAF21-4138s 2 inches high sent to these gomers thru my vso since 2007. According to my vso who is the director of the sa district, servoce office, that I have established the three essential elements for the claim of ptsd/mdd. And if I had not been suffering the residuals of a concussion, would have persued the endeavor back in 1992, when the symptoms were not as severe as they are now. It is not my intention to aggrevate others, yet help them understand the severity of the symptoms, the chronicity of the symptoms and the lack of assistants from the VA and its overall effect it has had on the quality of life in which I am forced to endure. Understand vet centers do not order exams, what should of happened in 1992, was aleast an assessment should have been completed by the VA hospital due to the vets centers diagnosis of possible ptsd. Failure to assist is the issue, not who has responsibility to order exams.... ie: Veteran goes to VA hospital, stating "I do not feel right, since I got out last month." Does he wait for the raters to order up an exam and see whats happening? Or do we take him down to the clinic or emergency wing, assign a primary care representative or doctor and conduct a means test?

Or do way just send him out the door stating: " your injuries are not caused or related to combat, so there fore we can not assist you." (SOME VETERANS MAY POSSIBLY NEED TO BE TAKEN BY THE HAND AND ACTUALLY ASSISTED).

• HadIt.com Elder

With a Gaf of 35 to 40 and if you do get service conencted you will have a problem.

You most likely will not be able to handle your financial affairs and the VA will have to appoint someone.

J

With a Gaf of 35 to 40 and if you do get service conencted you will have a problem.

You most likely will not be able to handle your financial affairs and the VA will have to appoint someone.

J

It is really odd, I mean having such a low general functioning score, and can still maintain a reasonable amount of perception in this matter. After 18 and half years of honorable service it is actually, humilating to have to go back to those people at the VA. If the symptoms were not so severe and I could maintain my own abilities to control those symptoms I would still be working, have been a workaholic-drunkaholic now for 18 years, and am ashamed to have to ask for help from others. especially the freakin va. Do you comprehend? mark

• HadIt.com Elder

I understand that it is like a flesh eating bacteria that eats away at you until your gone unless you find the courage and will to halt it. You can never cure it but you have to find some way somehow to manage it or it will get the best of you.

Hang in there. Dont be afraid to ask for help. Be afraid of the results if you dont.

J

Edited by jbasser

your probably looking at a 100% p&T (permanent and total) with a custodian to handle your affairs (however you can designate custodian to receive your checks and disburse your money - just be careful who you pick) GAF is not the final determining factor but tell that to the evaluators. If evaluations followed all the standards and regs then veterans wouldn't have so many appeals and claim issues.